• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birds Everywhere!!!!

Hawg

i cant believe how the sandhill cranes came back...........there all over the place now!!!!!!!!

since the blue herons abondon the rookery between cold spring and rockville years ago, i see a few but not near as many!!!!!!!!?

Smurfy, they might be English I’ll have to get my book out. I was never sure because they are a little bigger than purple finches. I put up some pictures way back on this thread but everybody kept saying female grosbeaks. If they are they’re all lesbians because I’ve yet to see a male?

34 minutes ago, Hawg said:

Smurfy, they might be English I’ll have to get my book out. I was never sure because they are a little bigger than purple finches. I put up some pictures way back on this thread but everybody kept saying female grosbeaks. If they are they’re all lesbians because I’ve yet to see a male?

the english have some orange and white on there heads!!!!!!!! and maybe a little yellow!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

My book and the internet says English and House are the same thing. ——-The House Sparrow is perhaps the most adaptable and prolific bird species on the planet. Often called English Sparrow, its scientific name Passer domesticus is Latin for small, active bird belonging to the house. It is native to Europe and has spread to all corners of the world.Apr

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

My book and the internet says English and House are the same thing. ——-The House Sparrow is perhaps the most adaptable and prolific bird species on the planet. Often called English Sparrow, its scientific name Passer domesticus is Latin for small, active bird belonging to the house. It is native to Europe and has spread to all corners of the world.Apr

i googled them too!!!!!!! not arguing but the dreaded house sparrow is one that will take over a bluebird house, whereas i havent seen the english sparrow do that. they definetly have different markings then the house sparrow as i learned to tell them apart!!!!!

anyway i prefer the smaller english sparrow with the different markings on there head!!!!!!! ?

19 hours ago, Hawg said:

Some of these have a very prominent red stripe over their eye. They aren’t in any of my books. Just killing my safflower. Have to see if I can get a picture. 

get that picture yet Hawg??? i'm really curious to see if we are talking the same bird!!!!!!!

Smurfy, NOPE! Over 1000 pictures yesterday and none of the ones I consider bigger than the purples. These are game camera pictures from a camera dangling from a piece of angle iron so not the best. Do you agree these are ALL female or young purple finches? At least I can start there.STC_0559.thumb.JPG.fc132da666933a40a75a70771cd93dcc.JPG

STC_0621.JPG

STC_0117.JPG

Up here I am seeing red and white breasted nuthatches, chickadees, blue jays and grouse hanging around the feeder. Due to bears I have only one feeder going and only put a little bit of seed in it at time. I haven't put any suet out yet but I do see downeys, hairys and a pileated once and awhile.

I had a bear about a week and a half ago, I just slid open the window and talked to him and he walked away. I have a few Junko‘s, a ton of Blue Jays, still a couple zillion purple finches, and some of those brown things I’ve been trying to figure out for three years and still don’t know what they are. I know they’re not birds, but are you guys seeing any chipmunks? I had them all over the place. I even had one that would follow me around the yard on my riding lawnmower when I was cutting grass he was so tame. But I haven’t had a chipmunk around for probably 2 1/2 weeks. 

went up to the cabin for deer camp thursday before opener, filled the feeders and by this past wed they where empty. 🙄 so filled them again. at this rate i might need a part time job to feed the birds up there!!!!!!🤔 

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

went up to the cabin for deer camp thursday before opener, filled the feeders and by this past wed they where empty. 🙄 so filled them again. at this rate i might need a part time job to feed the birds up there!!!!!!🤔 

Same thing I told my wife. Once I retire, these birds may just have to starve!  😆

Edited by leech~~