• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building An Ice Fishing Chisel

minky

Depending how big you make it, I think the t handle will be awkward, prone to catching on stuff like your jacket, and it's unlikely to be held in a way that makes it useful.  

I would put a hole or something for a wrist strap.  And if I was trying to be fancy I would give the upper part a coat of some gritty plasti-dip or a good wrap of hockey tape.

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Mine was built about 20 years ago with a chunk of leaf spring (hardened steel), rod stock for a shaft and a piston wrist pin for the top handle.  The thing is bullet proof.

mine is about the same and it works!!!

i've built/made about 8 of them.  took a piece of mild steel flat bar formed the chisled head by grinding the angle. had it hardened then took 1 1/2 or 2 inch pipe. cut out a slot for the flat bar fit it, welded it up. then took a plumbing end cap, steel, welded that to the pipe, then took a big washer, ground it to fit the end cap, welded it to end cap, then tied a rope to it.

18 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Depending how big you make it, I think the t handle will be awkward, prone to catching on stuff like your jacket, and it's unlikely to be held in a way that makes it useful.  

I would put a hole or something for a wrist strap.  And if I was trying to be fancy I would give the upper part a coat of some gritty plasti-dip or a good wrap of hockey tape.

The T handle made by welding the wrist pin on the top is actually very comfortable and functional.  Since it was hollow, I ran a strap through it to wrap around my hand/wrist if I get to point where I’m worried it might go in the drink.

Otherwise I didn’t care much about fanciness; just function. I’m throwing a bad pic up cuz it’s cold out and the season of going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. 

B19EAFD2-ECF1-4DD5-A040-D433C81EA8F2.thumb.jpeg.434b0b811121afe373a3c4668250f4af.jpeg

Yah, Leech, I know... if it were any good I’d have that ice chiseled away by now! ?  

I did the rest of the driveway last night...

Edited by Wanderer

Built mine multi purpose. Nephew broke a winch, bit heavy on Fire Ball. I had a 1 1/4" pipe that bent lifting the side of house to get a Jack under to raise broken side. Got a 60" 1 1/4 solid steel shaft, welded a 1/4" thick chisel bit and a bull nose ring to attach rope. Lifted a greatfull guy's Ice Castle that broke a cable last year. Bit heavy at 26# so don't chip too much ice with it but it's a great Crowbar.20190117_084347.thumb.jpg.dec4f1467f8f5a0a8dc93d3be16f86af.jpg