• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Artisan Breads

Remember a loaf of bread only costs like a buck to make.  

I will be happy to post recipes (formulas) from some of the experts...

Here is a recipe that makes a sourdough tasting bread......

Almost No-Knead Bread

To avoid lengthy and tiresome kneading, we let our bread dough sit for 8 to 18 hours, during which a process called autolysis develops gluten—the protein that gives baked breads their bubbly, chewy crumb structure. After that, just 15 seconds of kneading does the trick. To give our bread more flavor than standard no-knead recipes, we add vinegar for acidic tang and lager beer for extra yeastiness. We bake the bread in a covered pot to create steam, producing a springy interior, and then finish baking it uncovered for a beautifully browned crust.

Ingredients

3cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour

1 ½teaspoons salt

¼teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast

¾cup plus 2 tablespoons water, room temperature

6tablespoons mild-flavored lager

1tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Vegetable oil spray

Instructions

Makes 1 large round loaf

Use a mild-flavored lager, such as Budweiser (mild nonalcoholic lager also works). In step 3, start the 30-minute timer as soon as you put the bread in the cold oven. Do not wait until the oven has preheated to start your timer or the bread will burn. The bread is best eaten the day it is baked, but it can be wrapped in aluminum foil and stored in a cool, dry place for up to two days.

Description

1. Whisk flour, salt, and yeast together in large bowl. Add water, lager, and vinegar. Using rubber spatula, fold mixture, scraping up dry flour from bottom of bowl until shaggy ball forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 8 hours or up to 18 hours.

2. Lay 18 by 12-inch sheet of parchment paper on counter and spray with oil spray. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead 10 to 15 times. Shape dough into ball by pulling edges into middle. Transfer dough, seam side down, to center of parchment and spray surface of dough with oil spray. Pick up dough by lifting parchment overhang and lower into heavy-bottomed Dutch oven (let any excess parchment hang over pot edge). Cover loosely with plastic and let rise at room temperature until dough has doubled in size and does not readily spring back when poked with finger, about 2 hours.

3. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Remove plastic from pot. Lightly flour top of dough and, using razor blade or sharp knife, make one 6-inch-long, 1/2-inch-deep slit along top of dough. Cover pot and place in oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Bake bread for 30 minutes (starting timing as soon as you turn on oven).

4. Remove lid and continue to bake until loaf is deep brown and registers 210 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Carefully remove bread from pot; transfer to wire rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours.

Thanks Del.  

I just really like smoked meat, great hearty soups and great breads during the winter months. Makes me all warm and fuzzy on a cold day! ?  

Edited by leech~~

Then the no knead bread will be right down your alley.    The one I posted is a little more faux sourdough than the regular.    

I went back through my files and found this which I think is the original recipe from the NY Times.    

Make sure the handle on the lid of the dutch oven will stand the high temperature.  The black plastic ones won't 

Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, 
and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with 
plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at 
warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour 
a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more 
flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with 
plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface 
or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. 
Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran 
or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, 
bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 
2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and 
will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. 
Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or 
ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot 
from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, 
seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once 
or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it 
bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake 
another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Remember a loaf of bread only costs like a buck to make.  

We don't eat much bread in our house but I can certainly appreciate a good loaf of homemade bread like Leech is talking about. If we want some cheap bread we just buy a few loaves from the local Kwik Trip when it's on sale. We do hit up bakeries when we can find them along our travels and some meat markets have some good baked goods as well.

kwik trip bread.jpg

7 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Does buying 5 loaves of frozen bread dough at the store constitute Artisan bread??

Asking for a friend.

image.jpeg

Edited by leech~~

13 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I know that I can just go buy it like Hy-Vee has a lot of good heavy breads.

But I would like to learn how to make some myself to keep me busy when I'm to old to fish like smurfy! ?

I don't blame you and I get why you want to do it but I've found that with things like craft beer, wine, other homemade and homegrown things like meat and bread can be more easily bought than made by me. By the time I buy the equipment and learn the ropes I could have purchased a couple years worth of these goods.

I've found that in most cases I prefer going to farmers markets, meat markets, bakeries, breweries and wineries throughout the state and trying lots of different things.

But that's just me.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

We don't eat much bread in our house but I can certainly appreciate a good loaf of homemade bread like Leech is talking about. If we want some cheap bread we just buy a few loaves from the local Kwik Trip when it's on sale. We do hit up bakeries when we can find them along our travels and some meat markets have some good baked goods as well.

kwik trip bread.jpg

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough.  The point was not saving money although you can.  The point was that if you try something and it doesn't come out like you hoped you are only out a buck, maybe less.   Pitch it and try again.   

And a nice loaf of artisan bread is way more than a buck even at a place like costco.   But the Kwik Trip stuff is good enough for your velveeta sandwich to eat with a nice Keystone Light while you're watching WWE.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

I don't blame you and I get why you want to do it but I've found that with things like craft beer, wine, other homemade and homegrown things like meat and bread can be more easily bought than made by me. By the time I buy the equipment and learn the ropes I could have purchased a couple years worth of these goods.

I've found that in most cases I prefer going to farmers markets, meat markets, bakeries, breweries and wineries throughout the state and trying lots of different things.

But that's just me.

I agree Dave. But I hunt and fish and if I looked at it as a cost factor to gain!  Every dang one on this forum site knows the answer to that question! ?

I just like to try stuff. One time I tapped the Maple trees in my back yard after spending a few bucks on taps and such. I made a block of maple sugar because I didn't know what the H I was doing, but it was Fun anyway!  ?

Another time I made dried Sage smoke smudges like the Indians make, because some hippy dude at a old time Trapper rendezvous told me they help keep the misquotes away with out using spray. When our friends at the campground came over for a fire they asked if we were smoking Pot over here? ?

This an't half of it but it's fun to try things. Makes life more interesting. 

Edited by leech~~

8 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Go to Leech's house, put on your apron and have an "artisan" bread baking party then. ?

Might be fun, but Artisan bread takes like 24 hours.   I don't know if I can drink that much.

9 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Might be fun, but Artisan bread takes like 24 hours.   I don't know if I can drink that much.

I've probably given it the old college try at one point or another in my younger years......