• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Artisan Breads

For a long time I have really wanted to learn how to make some good hearty Artisan Breads and winter is a great time to try some.

Anyone else make these and have any easy recipes for a beginner to start with? Love Sour dough, wheat's, Rye's.   Carbolicious! ?

image.png.86435091190622a82637063b4c964641.png

11 hours ago, smurfy said:

Don't want my man card yanked!:P

Yeah, bout that. Pretty sure every Warring hord male that ever existed throughout time lived on Bread and Meat! ?

Your Kohl's card is safe! ?

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

You might get more answers if you try this section.......

https://hotspotoutdoors.com/forums/forum/7-women-anglers-amp-outdoor-women/

Well aren't being the little Sexist today!  Plus, if you look at the last date any woman posted on this site you will see that the Silly Town meanest probably scared them away long time ago.  Thanks for that! ?

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Well aren't being the little Sexist today!  Plus, if you look at the last date any woman posted on this site you will see that the Silly Town meanest probably scared them away long time ago.  Thanks for that! ?

yea well back in the day  i was told to stay out of that forum, and that forum had the most activity on all of FM!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

1435711544_jokechill.jpg.0da86ce0ef5a517201d3d4c516c87c3e.jpg

God that looks good. Give me a pound of butter and I could eat all that in a day or two!

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, leech~~ said:

For a long time I have really wanted to learn how to make some good hearty Artisan Breads and winter is a great time to try some.

Anyone else make these and have any easy recipes for a beginner to start with? Love Sour dough, wheat's, Rye's.   Carbolicious! ?

image.png.86435091190622a82637063b4c964641.png

Yep, I have done the artisan bread thing, and my daughter in law makes amazing bread.     

The easiest way is the no knead, that was make popular a few years ago by an article about the Sullivan Street bakery.    Jim Lahey even wrote a book about his method.   Basically you make the dough by mixing flour, water, salt, and a little yeast and let it rise overnight then bake in a preheated dutch oven with the lid on.    

Also there is the book by a local pair of authors.... 
The new artisan bread in 5 minutes a day (replaces previous book) by  Jeff Hertzberg M.D., Zoë François,

They mix a big batch of dough and store it in the refrigerator.   Cut off a piece every day and put it in the oven.   fresh bread for like 5 days.  

You library probably has both.   

Or pm me an email address.   

If you are doing a lot of it, you might want to buy a pound of SAF red instant yeast from amazon, or at least a small jar at the store rather than the little packs.  

As for equipment, a 3 quart dutch oven and a pizza stone.   A stand mixer if you are not doing the no-knead stuff.   A kitchen scale is almost essential, and a instant read thermometer.   

Baking all kinds of great bread is surprisingly easy with a little practice. 

2 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

Let the liquor do the thinking!

Huh?  He was the guy that first went public with the no knead bread thing.    What's that about liquor?

13 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Bread machines have been popular since the 90'sGo To Topic Listing Cooking and Sharing Recipes. Wouldn't that kind of be like Sous Vide for bread?

Double_Facepalm_Meme.jpg

Edited by delcecchi
hso so slow, reply to BD2 got messed up

3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Does anyone have anything worthwhile to contribute to the subject or just go back to being Silly else where maybe? ?

Not me. I never baked a loaf of bread in my life. The closest to it I ever get is one of those boxed mixes of Red Lobster cheddar biscuits. Boy, those things are yummy!

My only recommendation is to get one of those bread making machines and let it do the work. 

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

My only recommendation is to get one of those bread making machines and let it do the work. 

Got one, not really geared to making true Artisan Breads. 

5 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Does anyone have anything worthwhile to contribute to the subject or just go back to being Silly else where maybe? ?

Sure, I posted some stuff.   Seriously.   

I would suggest getting a dutch oven, 3 or 4 quart,  some "rapid rise" yeast, some flour, and a scale.  Have at it.   Mix up a batch of dough. Proof it.   Bake it.   Eat it. see how you like it.   Keep track of what you did and how it turned out.   Next time try a little less or more salt/yeast/water etc.  

Check out the books I suggested for recipes to start with.