• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets Be Honest. Eat While Ice Fishing Is A Must

Seabassoutdoors

7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

how long does it take to boil some water?  I know it gets hot, but I didn't think it got that hot.

I'm thinking it might take some time to boil water on a Buddy heater but I have no doubt that my cooker/heater would boil a small amount of water in no time although I have never tried it. Cans of soup or beans work great too. I buy the cans that don't need a can opener for ease of use.

This may come as a shock to some of you but if I'm out for a few days at a time, with 3 or more people and can drive my truck out  I bring my weber. I have done turkeys, pork loins, chicken and beef tenderloins. If there is just a couple of us I bring the smokey joe and will have burgers or brats. If I'm out alone I just drink! ?

20 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

how long does it take to boil some water?  I know it gets hot, but I didn't think it got that hot.

about 15 minutes. on medium

I use a 3 dollar tin cup I got from northern

I have 3  big Buddys  and they are all different,

there are different versions over the years

just be careful of heating a large object (pizza slice), if you get it too close to the handle it can melt

most things you only want to use low

the trick with toasted sandwiches is a single layer of foil,

butter the outside of the bread,

heat on medium 2:45 seconds per side.

golden brown!

We used to have one of those old-style small camp stoves, the Coleman types, and cook all kinds of things while icefishing. Food taste better  when cooked in the ice. We would grill vegetables and steaks and burgers… you name it

That Buddy heater grill looks like a neat idea. I should give it a try

I would love to whip out a grill and make a meat feast but I just move way to much to spend time with all that when I jig most of the time.  So, it's Beef and cheese sticks, cold pizza or a thermos of hot chili or soup. I'll live! ?

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I would love to whip out a grill and make a meat feast but I just move way to much to spend time with all that when I jig most of the time.  So, it's Beef and cheese sticks, cold pizza or a thermos of hot chili or soup. I'll live! ?

Oh, so you are one of those that actually fish!

Buddy and I spent all day Saturday spearing. Went to a bar and grill a few miles down the road for lunch. He got a wood fired pizza and I got chicken strips. By far the best chicken strips I’ve ever had. He couldn’t  finish his whole pizza and I couldn’t finish all my chicken so we took it with us. I flipped the grate around on the buddy Heater so it was a flat grate and I found between low and high in about 3-5 min the otter smelled like pizza and the crust was nice and crunchy and it was nice and hot. First time I’ve cooked anything on a buddy heater. This thread inspired me to try it! And it worked darn well. 

9520F99A-55A8-4B7F-846B-0949A8254782.jpeg

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, jbird68 said:

Now we need recipes. Wrapping things(hot dogs,  burgers, etc.) in foil sounds like a good idea. But I worry about dripping grease on the ceramic plates or pilot light in my buddy heater. 

you need to seal the foil,

but I dripped melted cheese on the tile once , it burned off after a while and didn't do any damage