• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Color Shading

Matt Johnson

I posted about this on social media and had a nice response, figured it would be good to post here on HSO as well...

Have you played around with the new Fishing Range feature/colors through the Sonar Chart on the updated Navionics App? You can shade various depths to specific colors. I have the red set to 0-5 feet and orange set to 5-10 feet, just to give you an idea. It takes customizing your maps to a whole new level!  I really like this update!!

Navionics Colors 2.jpg

Navionics Colors.jpg

I was totally disappointed with the Boating app release of the 5 color contour shading. Prior to multi color the app had "Fishing Mode" with a contour band of white on light blue which gave high contrast to the GPS arrow while manual trolling a follow the contour. Color replaced fishing mode no longer exists. I could also use the white on blue fishing mode to identify a selected contour across the lake for planning. (Video Link). Contrast of the GPS arrow is basically lost with color shading. (See Pic). I have spent a bit of time using multi color and see little advantage to multi color. 

20180727_085149.thumb.png.9d2d7be435664f9bb2c7f431bb390638.png

I’m a little confused on which upgrade they want us to do. Is it the boating app? I’ve always liked the good old $15 Minnesota Canada app I bought a few years ago, but now they keep saying upgrade?

Latest release combined the Boating and BoatingHD App's into one app. You still chose the region USA, USA + Canada etc. USA only has a $14.99 annual subscription and with Canada $29.99 annual subscription. You set up an account and cam put app on multiple devices at no extra cost. Log in and all your data from your previous ACTIVE service is transferred to new app. Garmin has added Active Captian (POI) as an overlay to the map on new app.

$15/$30 annually? That’s crazy when gps  and maps in the boat are what most people use.  I use it mostly as a toy just to get a handle on a new lake, or spot (get it close)  an ice house. But for $30 a year, I’ll just take my GPS Or use my current program. I would pay the fee one time, but annually is nuts.

Edited by Hawg

10 hours ago, Hawg said:

$15/$30 annually? That’s crazy when gps  and maps in the boat are what most people use.  I use it mostly as a toy just to get a handle on a new lake, or spot (get it close)  an ice house. But for $30 a year, I’ll just take my GPS Or use my current program. I would pay the fee one time, but annually is nuts.

To me it's well worth it as I fish with the app linked to my Vexilar sonar. (Video in my above post) also re-map contours, upload to Navionics for daily updates along with many other Lowerance, Garmin, raymarine GPS/Sonar combo users. Weekly update I did today SonarChart maps showing Coon Lake update video attahed. $23.99 per year seems to be like pocket change compared to a $600++ GPS Sonar, $150 for a US chip another $150 for Canada which needs to be repurchased every couple years to stay updated. 

koko

I have the app and a helix. there is pros and cons for sure, but the fact that its such a resource hog on your phone and really eats up your phones battery and having your phone exposed to the elements is a huge factor for me.

my humminbird came with a free navionics chip, its waterproof, not affected by the cold temps, great battery life and I don't expose my phone to any dangers. Still get the color shading with my helix also.  The phone is also difficult to use with gloves on etc. and I don't have that same issue with my helix. I move a lot on the ice chasing perch, the phone can get the job done but the helix unit simplifies it so much better.

Yes cold drains cell phone batteries. As I use a Milwaukee drill and pull the battery to keep it warm allows putting a 12v adapter with USB charge port to keep my phone and tablet charged on early ice. Wheel house safe ice Its warm inside with a lot of 12v available.

20181122_091752.thumb.jpg.9a19fcaa5f659518772f1d7c2d488faf.jpg

I have a Garmin EchoMap 73sv and 73dv. They have the range shading option. I set it up once but didn't like the colors available. I guess I'm used to white/lt blue/dk.blue shading from shallow to deeper. And the colors seen to really bug out my eyes. What have you set your shading to?  A different color every 5 feet or something else? 

Edited by jbird68