• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hamstring Curls Bad For Your Back?

tacklejunkie

I have been reading more  and more how hamstring curls are an unnatural movement and could put strain on your lower back. I have read that deadlifts and squats will work the hamstrings in a more natural movement. I’ve been doing hamstring curls since I was 16 years old and I’m 58 now and my back feels just as good and strong now as then.

Is this bogus information and what about the claim that squats and deadlifts work your hamstrings just as well?

I suppose there is a difference between "could" put extra strain and "will" put extra strain on your lower back. 

I haven't seen any of research but having done hamstring curls I can see where maybe it might make sense but I never experienced any issues. There are a lot of good ways to work your hamstrings and a varied approach is usually best anyways so its not going to hurt to mix in some other options and reduce your dependence on curls.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:52 PM, tacklejunkie said:

I have been reading more  and more how hamstring curls are an unnatural movement and could put strain on your lower back. I have read that deadlifts and squats will work the hamstrings in a more natural movement. I’ve been doing hamstring curls since I was 16 years old and I’m 58 now and my back feels just as good and strong now as then.

Is this bogus information and what about the claim that squats and deadlifts work your hamstrings just as well?

Since 16, man you must have a nice tight ars for 58! ?

I would tend to agree that the best way to work muscles are: 1) in natural movements, 2) in conjunction with other muscles, and 3) using good form. Leg extensions and leg curls have their place for individualized muscle development, but they shouldn't be the priority but more the gap fillers in terms of exercises.