• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

We Lost A Sports Legend

5 hours ago, smurfy said:

ole Mean Gene Okerland passed away today.  i spent a many a sunday morning with him and da gang on the AWA and later the WWE!!!!!!! 

Yep. Found every excuse to miss church so I could watch the East West connection  and Dino pizza face Bravo. ?

2 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Tell that to the guys who were participating. 

So that makes construction work and Cirque du Soleil sports?        

And cuts and blood were part of the show.    

Why did Verne Gagne never lose?   I knew it was fake even as a kid.  

It is scripted and choreographed.  

Ah yes, weekend morning TV in the early 80's, Verne Gagne and Virgil Ward.

Mean Gene was in a class all by himself.

I was more of a follower of Virgil, while my high school classmate went the other direction and is still involved, so I tune in every once in a while to check out what he's up to. At 53 it's mostly announcing and commercials these days.

Denucci.jpg

Edited by Duffman

yep.....leave it to Del to put a negative twist to it.? yea we know it was fake...…….. but entertaining as hello!!!!!!!!! some of them fellers where some pretty gifted acrobats!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Of course it is but doesn't make it any less real for the participants.

Not real since it is choreographed and scripted.   Not a "sport", but an "athletic exhibition" or something like that.   But yes, it is a real exhibition.   

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

yep.....leave it to Del to put a negative twist to it.? yea we know it was fake...…….. but entertaining as hello!!!!!!!!! some of them fellers where some pretty gifted acrobats!!!!!!!!!!

I liked watching it too.   Stomach Claw was my fave.   Verne Gagne and the sleeper hold...  ?

The stomach claw. I don't remember how many times I used that on my little brother. My Dad took me and my older brother to a few matches in downtown St. Paul. Marty O'Neill the announcer before Mean Gene lived at 1111 Randolph Ave in St. Paul about 3 blocks from my house when I was a kid. Remember when Verne was pushing Geritol. I also remember The Crusher being interviewed by Marty holding a six pack of beer in his hand and all of a sudden he started smashing it against his forehead. He would also come out holding a keg during interviews. What about Wally Carbo the promoter who would come out and make a bomb shell announcement about how somebody was being forced into some kind of crazy match. What a great show! 

Edited by chaffmj
Had to add so more memories.

43 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Not real since it is choreographed and scripted.   Not a "sport", but an "athletic exhibition" or something like that.   But yes, it is a real exhibition.   

Physical Theatre.

And the interviews were/are just as important as the matches.

Edited by Duffman

2 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Good ol’ “mean” Gene Okerland (Jesse Ventura is credited for giving him that nickname). I wish WWE would have given him more gimmick appearances in his latter years. Today’s announcers just aren’t as good as they used to be.

I hear ya, and if there wouldn't be this silly college football game on tonite my tube would be tuned in to RAW!!!!!!!