• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

M18 Wont Cut 8" Hole

Stickjiggler

My m18 brushless and clam plate with 8" laser hand auger bit will only cut about 1 and 1/2 holes through 12 inches of ice then it stops and I have to wait a bit beflre it will drill again. Then it stops againmmany times.

Anyone else hve the same issues? I also tried a new 8" Mora with not much better results.

Fuel covers a lot of Milwaukee drills. The one you may want is the 2804-20, 1200 IP, brushless. Tool only $150, with 5ah battery + charger around $250. Rigid also has the 1300 IP octane for about same price range comes with lifetime warranty I've seen good reports on the octane.

20181225_105525.thumb.jpg.2beb6a4bb3a275a0a4990d685b4310d3.jpg

34 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Hammer drill?    Is that the thing with an auger?  Or a regular drill?   

Hammer drill is both a basic drill or drill with hammer (32,000 BPM) selected options. Drill Tool only. Augers, K, Nills, pistol separate purchase. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Rigid, Ryobi all offer 750 IP & greater drills. 750 minimum for augers.

Yeah, don't need the hammer function for the auger.

Personally, since I don't drill a lot of masonry the hammer function isn't worth it to me and I would buy just the drill/driver version.  The regular drill is a bit smaller and weighs a bit less, but it's marginal.

8 hours ago, delcecchi said:

So for the auger application it is just used as a high torque drill?  

Correct run on drill only, also set drill on speed 1 slowest speed. Most of the above 1000 inch pound drills come with hammer option.

9 hours ago, delcecchi said:

So for the auger application it is just used as a high torque drill?  

Not sure why this site does not find my logged in profile so I'll try again

Correct run on drill only, also set drill on speed 1 slowest speed. Most of the above 1000 inch pound drills come with hammer option.

There is also a drill plate on the market with a 2 to 1 reduction that allows you to use a drill with less power.  I've been using the 2 to 1 reduction plate with a 18 volt Metabo drill and a 7 inch Mora hand auger for two seasons now, and it works just fine.

I think the drill plate I have is called an Ice Kicker.

On 12/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, papadarv said:

Fuel covers a lot of Milwaukee drills. The one you may want is the 2804-20, 1200 IP, brushless. Tool only $150, with 5ah battery + charger around $250. Rigid also has the 1300 IP octane for about same price range comes with lifetime warranty I've seen good reports on the octane.

20181225_105525.thumb.jpg.2beb6a4bb3a275a0a4990d685b4310d3.jpg

Thanks @papadarv, for the information above.  I went looking for the 2804-20 tonight.  I found a 2804-22 which is supposedly the new replacement model of the -20.  At least that was according to the helpful staff at the store.  

3 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Thanks @papadarv, for the information above.  I went looking for the 2804-20 tonight.  I found a 2804-22 which is supposedly the new replacement model of the -20.  At least that was according to the helpful staff at the store.  

@Wanderer The 2804-20 is the Tool Only $149 and 2804-22 is the kit with 4ah bat, charger & hard  case $299. There are 3 and 4 respectively at Home Depot Forest Lake. A bit far from Little Falls, but if your in the neighborhood stop by look for Darv in Hardware & Tools. I'm only there 20 - 25 hours a week on a random 8 to 5 schedule. 

I would certainly stop in and see ya @papadarv but I picked up that unit locally.  

Something changed at the store where I got mine.  The shelf was empty where the units are typically stocked (had a tag stating “this one recommended for K drill”).  The staff checked stock because he thought he saw a new one had come in the back.  Sure enough, one had.  But the SKU was different than the ones they sold out of and it wouldn’t scan into their inventory.  He commented the product had changed.

Mine is the tool, charger and (2) 5Ah batts in the case.  Maybe the batts were the change?

I tried looking at those closer to see the difference; just out of curiosity since I’m past the point deciding.  Didn’t see anything jumping out at me from the 2700’s to the 2800’s.  The 03 is drill/driver only and the 04 is hammer drill/driver.

And as papadarv pointed out, -20 is tool only with -22 being the whole ball of wax.

I’m happy with my choice even though a 2700 could be $20-30 cheaper.

Oh, I saw the 2703 with two 5ah batteries and a hard case for $179 at acme tool, so that's a $100 deal not $20-30.

As far as I could tell, the 2803 was a inch shorter and a few ounces lighter.

Milwaukee does have a promo where you get a third battery for free with a 2803 right now though, which is about $100.   So it's a bit of six of one / half dozen of the other.

I went with the 2803-22 for $279 with a free battery, thinking I would probably end up getting a third battery anyway.

Edited by bobbymalone

Nice score. ?  I don’t get down to that area of town much anymore.

My wins:

Wanted the hammer drill option.

Like having the “new” model for whatever reason.

Kept my money in my town.

Had a nice gift card that helped the cause.

?

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I hope to mine.

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Yah, I will.  It wasn’t mentioned at the store.  We were all just happy they could sell it to me! ?

Where did you buy it?  

It was done automatically when I ordered online, but you can fill out a form at Milwaukee's HSOforum.