• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Grill

Mike89

OK guys I'm thinking about a new gas grill..  all I see are porcelain grates.. are they any good compared to chrome grates??   I don't want something that is going to break up and rust..  and what brands are you using??  thanks all!!

I don't know if this will help Mike, but I have pretty much given up on full size gas grills. They just don't seem to last, replacing burners and other parts frequently.

So for the last 10 years or so I have just been getting decent portable grills, getting 2 or 3 years of use out of them and then chucking them out.

No more getting bulk propane, because I always have a stock of green pounders around.

It is just the old lady and I 99% of the time, so we don't really need a big one.

And I usually wait until end of summer clearances to pick up a new one.

Hopefully you get some real answers, because I wouldn't mind giving the bigger ones a go some time in the future.

WEBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its worth every penny. still the same ignitor system. i did replace the V covers over the burners once. i may need to replace the burners soon. i've had this grill for 25 years and use it a bunch. i did replace the cover once. this grill has the cast grates also!!!!!!

I bought a 3-burner Weber Spirit 7 years ago. It has porcelain coated grates. One of bars on the grate broke at the weld a few years ago, but as long as I don't pick it up from that spot it doesn't cause a problem.  The "flavorizing" bars are starting to have a few small holes forming in them, but again, no big deal to me.  Overall I've been very happy with the Weber. However, it was a wedding gift from my buddies (a group of us used to go in on a nice grill when someone got married) so I didn't have to cough up my own dough for it.

Get one with cast grates and the right size for you.  I have a Charbroil 4 knobber with side burner up at the camper for when more folks show up and a 2 knobber with side burner at home. 

Sometimes bigger looks kool and all but is just a waste-she says! ?

23 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Get one with cast grates and the right size for you.  I have a Charbroil 4 knobber with side burner up at the camper for when more folks show up and a 2 knobber with side burner at home. 

Sometimes bigger looks kool and all but is just a waste-she says! ?

just make sure its not overly expensive............right Dave!!!!!!!!!!!?:grin::P

26 minutes ago, Getanet said:

I bought a 3-burner Weber Spirit 7 years ago. It has porcelain coated grates. One of bars on the grate broke at the weld a few years ago, but as long as I don't pick it up from that spot it doesn't cause a problem.  The "flavorizing" bars are starting to have a few small holes forming in them, but again, no big deal to me.  Overall I've been very happy with the Weber. However, it was a wedding gift from my buddies (a group of us used to go in on a nice grill when someone got married) so I didn't have to cough up my own dough for it.

pretty sure thats the one i have also. its the 3 burner!!!!!!!!!

If you dont have time for charcoal,  you ain't grilling!! That line never gets old..Ok, back to topic, I thought you had a pellet grill Mike? My big charcoal unit has porcelain coated grates, they've lasted a bunch of years but certain grub has been sticking a smidge, but in its defense it has gotten a workout..

2 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

If you dont have time for charcoal,  you ain't grilling!! That line never gets old..Ok, back to topic, I thought you had a pellet grill Mike? My big charcoal unit has porcelain coated grates, they've lasted a bunch of years but certain grub has been sticking a smidge, but in its defense it has gotten a workout..

Mikey's got a new neighbor lady on the hook......he needs to pick up the pace!!!!!!!!:grin:

1 hour ago, bobberineyes said:

no reason to be sorry!! I have charcoal, gas, pellet smoker and another smoker..  just thing about getting a better gas grill.. I a weber Q1100 or 100 what ever they call and the porcelain grates keep going bad!!!!

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

no reason to be sorry!! I have charcoal, gas, pellet smoker and another smoker..  just thing about getting a better gas grill.. I a weber Q1100 or 100 what ever they call and the porcelain grates keep going bad!!!!

Now there's a man that likes to use a variety of ways to grill.? Just what I have and I use them all at times.

Have enough you can't wear them out.

Been in the same boat.... I have decided that I am better off spending $150 on the "disposable" grills and replace it every 3 or 4 years than to drop the money on a weber. Not saying that they aren't worth it, but the propane grill doesn't get used much now that I am a pellet junkie.

3 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Been in the same boat.... I have decided that I am better off spending $150 on the "disposable" grills and replace it every 3 or 4 years than to drop the money on a weber. Not saying that they aren't worth it, but the propane grill doesn't get used much now that I am a pellet junkie.

I'm starting to think this way too!!

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

I've been using grills in that $150 range for probably 10-12 years now and I get about 4 years out of one with the 4th year being a bit of a hassle due to poor ignition, failing burners, etc.  I also  usually have to replace the triangle pieces above the burners once and also the grease tray usually in year 3.  I've been debating if its worth spending 3 times as much and getting a weber or comparable grill in hopes that it will last longer and save some money and hassle over the years.  

I have heard that the newer webers aren't built that same as older models and may not last as long.  Any truth to that?    For you weber owners how many components do you have to replace in say a 5-10 year period?  Are parts readily available and affordable?  One you have to replace burners and such on the $150 grills its time to just throw it away because its just not worth putting the money into.

I do use the grill a lot spring through fall, probably 3-4 times a week at minimum.  I'm ok staying with the $150 grills if thats going to be cheaper in the long run but I'm also go investing the money in a quality grill if its going to last and save money over time.  

I would also go charcoal but so many of our weekday meals need to get done quickly.  After getting off work, picking up one kid from day care and the other from school dinner prep time is rather limited. 

I have heard that the newer webers aren't built that same as older models and may not last as long.  Any truth to that?    For you weber owners how many components do you have to replace in say a 5-10 year period?  Are parts readily available and affordable?  One you have to replace burners and such on the $150 grills its time to just throw it away because its just not worth putting the money into.

I too have heard that and am wondering..  Duchane was good till weber bought it out..

FYI

Popular American Made Weber Products

None, fully

Popular Weber Products Not Made in the USA

Spirit Series – China

Genesis II Series – China

Original Kettle Charcoal Grill – globally sourced components

Summit Series – globally sourced components

Q Series – globally sourced components

Unfortunately, it seems like Weber is moving even more international with their newer models. For example, 2016 was the last year that the Weber Genesis grills could say “Made in the United States of America with globally sourced parts and components.” Now, the newer models are made in China.

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I too have heard that and am wondering..  Duchane was good till weber bought it out..

I don't know how new the "newer" ones are, but mine is 7 years old. It's pretty decent, but not as solid as some of the older models I've used. I haven't had to replace any components yet, but I'm fairly certain I can find replacement grates, flavorizing bars, etc at most retail stores that sell Weber grills, and I know I can find them on Amazon. I also have a Weber charcoal grill, so my gas grill doesn't get used as much as some might use theirs. 

If I were to ask a few of my buddies, they would say they only grill you should ever buy is a Big Green Egg. Not a gas grill, and while they seem to work great, they are certainly expensive.

at the very least this is all interesting to read and learn!!

just stopped at Ace hardware and looked at the grills..  everyone but one had porcelain covered cast grate...  the lone hold out was a weber with chrome  grates which I liked but at $799.99 not so sure!!  I can replace a lot of grates with that money!!  and get beer too!!!

I did get 7# prime too while in town too!!  

Oh, not sure what the consensus of the crowd is here, but the next gas grill I buy won't have a side burner. I thought it would be a neat feature and paid a little extra for the model that had it, but after or or two uses the burner never worked right. At least this one has a lid on it, so I can still use that side of the grill to set stuff on, but I found it basically to be a waste of money.