• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New 8 X 16 Shack Build

phild111

Starting this week on an 8 x 16 Skid Shack. Sitting down in next few days with buddy/builder to discuss things. Here's a few questions I have for all those with wheelhouses... 

1. Benefit to setting up wiring for fish cams when building a shack? What will I need for cables, etc, etc. 

2. I am very seriously considering a forced air furnace. Am I correct to say that a 18-30K sized furnace will be what am after for size I will have some insulation in the house but won't be spray foamed or anything like that. Any need for additional ceiling fans with a forced air? 

3. Fold down bunks...What dimensions does everyone use on their bunks & why?

4. Range hoods - should these be added to a cook station? 

5. Lighting - what kind of lighting setups do you have?

Just some thoughts! Any comments are helpful. 

2 hours ago, phild111 said:

Any need for additional ceiling fans with a forced air? 

I would definitely include one.

I would buy whatever you are going to use for mattresses or cushions and build the bunk around that.

I like having one....

12 volt RV lighting with LED bulbs. LED hole lights.

Do you live on a lake or is this going to be kept at a resort?

1. Benefit to setting up wiring for fish cams when building a shack? What will I need for cables, etc, etc. 

I would look at the camera you would want and add the proper wire for that. Most new cameras have hdmi out I believe. I wired our house with two hdmi ports for cameras. You can get long hdmi cables for pretty cheap online. Also bought little adapters and mounted to the right bench and one up front. They both run to the tv. You could do a 12V outlet near the area as well depending on how your camera is powered.2CBBC85F-27EF-4162-8DA6-E6173C22DD3A.thumb.jpeg.aa6a38b8907eaee34b3461cc507103c7.jpeg

2. I am very seriously considering a forced air furnace. Am I correct to say that a 18-30K sized furnace will be what am after for size I will have some insulation in the house but won't be spray foamed or anything like that. Any need for additional ceiling fans with a forced air? 

I would get a forced air furnace if you are planning on sleeping in it. Ventless heaters are not safe in my opinion unless you leave a window open. I would definitely insulate it well. If you cut corners on insulation you will pay for it in propane in the long run. Depending on your ceiling height I would go with a full size 12v ceiling fan. 

They are nice to have and are not too expensive. 

We have recessed puck led lights from

superbrightled.com they are a little pricey but I like them. They have similar options on amazon that are much cheaper. Porch lights were from super bright as well. 

4 hours ago, phild111 said:

Starting this week on an 8 x 16 Skid Shack. Sitting down in next few days with buddy/builder to discuss things. Here's a few questions I have for all those with wheelhouses... 

Make sure you use shielded cable vs wiring rca ends onto standard 16 gauge wire other wise you will have interference from your other 12 and 120 volt wiring. 

More insulation = less btus needed. At the very least I would spray the floor. Going to want to go 30k if you aren’t going to spray foam the walls

Depends on location. 30” is optimal. If on the side of the house versus back, I would go 24” because the are nicer to sit on. I have a 36” for my fold down top bunk and it works well to sleep my 7 & 8 year old

Are they nice? Yes. Are they a nessecity? No. I don’t have one and moisture has never been an issue. The only prob I have is cooking bacon in the house.... I love bacon but when u cook it in the house it lingers for days, but not sure the vent would totally solve this

5. Lighting - what kind of lighting setups do you 

Just some thoughts! Any comments are helpful. 

LED!!!!! You need to decide whether you’re going to have a generator and how long you want to run it. If you think that you’re going to constantly run a generator then you probably want to have more 120 V lights in the last 12 V lights. If you’re not going to run a generator that often or not at all then you would want to cut down in the number of 120 V lights.  Three way switches are in valuable within a fish house. Being able to switch on the entire bank of lights by the door and also by the rear bunk is very nice when you hear the rattle real go off in the middle of the night. I have three double pancake LED lights in my house that can be switched on and off individually one light or too light per fixture. I then ran the input power through a three way switch so that I can shut each light down individually or shut the whole works off as one. Hall lights are also very important, we used LED Leison plate lights and they work awesome

Camera are great. Shielded wire or wireless I use both. rl-sd good info on shielded, wireless I use 5.8ghz drone trans/rcvr effective and inexpensive all 12v run multiple devices, TV, monitors, tablet, smart phone.

20181020_082735.thumb.jpg.5675610ec367fcb6d16228145c15e785.jpg

Forced Air Furcace - only way to go. Ventless has CO issue and will put 4 gallons of water/moisture inside your house for every 20# of propane burned. If you go ventless bring a torch the following morning as the door will most likely be froze shut. I have a 6.5 x 12 WH, 19,000 BTU Suburban vented furnace well insulated took 9 min to heat from 8 deg to 70 deg. You will probably need to go to 25,000 minimum. My cealing at 82" and air duct to center of house & 4" round to door no ceiling fans. Have balanced temp all areas of house. On my next build I will add a second floor 2" and have a 12 x 2" channel from furnace to back of house with 8 x 2 multi channels to sides to duct heat. Fill other area with additional insulation.

20181130_075254.png.27b4d698c1bb5455cc58b485a96dea3d.png

I don't sleep in mine so no bunks and no range hood.

I would go all 12v lighting. Smaller flexible stranded wire, no A/C interference. Lights available equivelent to 75 watt only white, not yellow. You can get remote dimmers for about $12. I made mine 4 years ago putting 50 50 bright white strips in RV lights. Bottom lighting  pic before I put the new Suburban furnace in.

20181217_100024.jpg.bc95456aa7bf98d392d229c269d77278.jpg

Edited by papadarv