• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prime Rib Cooking Debate

Alright ladies and gentleman, Xmas is almost here and I've been assigned the job of cooking a prime rib. I am considering doing it either in my smoker (electric) or the rotisserie on my gas grill.  I have never done a prime rib either of these ways - and would like some opinions from those that have on which is the better/best way.  I haven't used my smoker in the middle of winter, so I know I would need to test it before hand to make sure it can maintain a temp in the cold - but let's just assume it does.

For what it's worth, here are some other details:

• Boneless
  • Size - I'm not entirely sure, but probably 6-8 lbs (the rotisserie has a 10lb limit)
  • 3 kids will be eating it. I only mention that because sometimes kids don't like a heavy smoked flavor.

Thoughts?

I've done them on the smoker and really enjoy them!!!  do the low temp smoke for awhile then bring up the temp to say 250 maybe and then slowly bring the meat up to your desired temp, pull it, let rest and enjoy!!  should not be to heavy on the smoke either..  and yes maybe get a small ham for the kids...    where and what time should I be there!!!  :)

good luck!!!

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I would cook it on my over priced pellet smoker and give the kids hot dogs. ? My vote is for the smoker.

Del votes for boiled in a bag. ?

Sous vide is best.   24 hours at 130 followed by 15 min in oven at 500 or WFO, or  over a ripping hot fire/coals to get a nice crust.  

Second choice is classic reverse sear.   Put it in the smoker (with a little smoke if you choose) or the oven at like 250 until an internal temp of maybe 125, then sear in the manner of your choice.  

I'm not sure about the smoke thing with rib roast.   sort of ambivilent.   fence[PoorWordUsage]er.  

Problems can arise if some folks don't like beef that is pink or red....   keep the grill fired up to sear their slices.   

If you boil it, shame on you.   Boiling is at 100 degrees Celsius .  Sous vide for beef is at 55 degrees (Celsius).  

One advantage of sous vide is that you can cook it a long time to make sure it is very tender without turning it into pot roast.

1 hour ago, Jim Almquist said:

I really like the idea of the rotisserie. Coals on both sides and throw in a few apple chunks for smoke and let it spin. I guess I look at it in a way that I would not smoke a rib-eye steak.

I agree, I think large cuts of higher quality meat are better cooked on a rotisserie rather than smoked. The slow smoking leaves better cuts of meat overly dry when I've had them, but it's all a matter of personal taste. Other guest have raved about meat I've been disappointed in.

I would vote smoker to135 degrees and finishing it the oven on broil to crust it. I'm more of the bone in fan personally. 

I have a pit boss pellet grill that has a searing option and I use that now for all my steaks and roasts as well as prime rib and I get the best results from that. 

8 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I guess I love the taste of a rib-eye and do not feel smoke will make it better. Very hot grill and 5 minutes a side and pull it. I always bring my steak up to room temp before putting on the grill.

Ever try reverse sear?

3 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

I guess I love the taste of a rib-eye and do not feel smoke will make it better. Very hot grill and 5 minutes a side and pull it. I always bring my steak up to room temp before putting on the grill.

smoke flavor is a like or not thing on some things, so I understand.. I like prime rib any way generally.. I'm going to do a small  one for us on Christmas...  on the smoker...  

In my humblest of opinions the simpler the better for prime rib.

Take it out of the refrigerator, salt (kosher) the entire piece and let stand until it's at room temp.

Stick it into your smoker/oven at 450-500 degrees until crusted (about 1 cocktail).

Lower heat to 325.

Have a least 3 cocktails before poking it with a thermometer.

Remove once internal temp is 120.

Let rest for at least 1 more cocktail

Cut and serve with horseradish.

I have been doing whole prime rib on a weber grill since I was 20 years old and they cost 2.99 lb at the long ago defunct Country Club Market in St. Paul. I put the coals on each side for indirect heat and add salt and pepper and garlic. For the garlic I put the fat side up and take a knife and put holes into the fat down to meat. In each hole I put a garlic clove. I don't add any pellets or wood chips for smoke. I just want to taste that beef cooked in owns fat with a few spices but go ahead and add some smoke to it if that is what you want.

5 hours ago, Kidd said:

In my humblest of opinions the simpler the better for prime rib.

Take it out of the refrigerator, salt (kosher) the entire piece and let stand until it's at room temp.

Stick it into your smoker/oven at 450-500 degrees until crusted (about 1 cocktail).

Lower heat to 325.

Have a least 3 cocktails before poking it with a thermometer.

Remove once internal temp is 120.

Let rest for at least 1 more cocktail

Cut and serve with horseradish.

Could you be a little more specific on this cocktail timing deal? Size matters! ?

image.thumb.png.1c74c708025ae1bf0f8a188190965bbe.png

He had an orgy to celebrate the solstice, out under the oak tree.  

Then he went out for KFC.    

Me I did a reverse sear.  Put the roast in a 200-250 degree oven until it was at 125 degrees F.   Let it rest whilst the rolls cooked and the broccoli cooked etc.   Cranked oven to 500+, gave it another 10 minutes or so until good and brown.   Mmmm

Thought about sous vide but didn't have the right size container.   Gonna do the Coleman Stacker thing for next time.

Edited by delcecchi