Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Big Dave2

Dnr Opening Special Deer Hunting Season To Combat Chronic Wasting Disease

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

As I recall, the area in Dane county (around Madison) was where the initial Scony outbreak was.   They had a lot of hunting leases and private landowners who had done a lot of stuff and perhaps even imported breeding stock and didn't want all their big bucks killed off to stop the disease.   

 

And as well,  the Wisconsin DNR hired that guy who supposedly was an expert who told them CWD was no big deal, it had always been around etc etc. 

I remember reading the studies and reports some years back around the time that CWD was found near Pine Island, imported by Elk Run.    I'm sure if anyone wanted to read them that they are still online.      

 

Here is an interesting article from 2015.   Discusses some of the history and Wisconsin DNR actions...

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/follow-illinois-not-wisconsin-to-slow-spreading-cwd-b99560237z1-322353591.html  

 

Also look up James Kroll, who for a time was the Wisconsin Deer Trustee...

 

From another article on the issue

 

 

Wisconsin makes a lot of bad decisions, Kroll definitely one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

 

So how do we stop it, outside of complete annihialation of all deer?

 

I’m not in “denial”. I fully understand the implications from both sides. Either way, we’re screwed! Do nothing, potentially screwed, keep [email protected]$$in it, still screwed.

 

I felt that I heard a lot of grumbling from Sconnies back then saying the deer populations were devastated in the CWD zones?  

 

I hunt the northwoods, so at this point, it doesn’t affect me either. I just hate to see the endless slaughter of our few robust deer populations in this state for no positive results. 

 

Don't worry, the deer farmers will get to you too. 

 

Ideally, from a disease control perspective, we would reduce the deer population to some minimal level that has a good chance of having no CWD carrying animals left and then allow the (clean) population to rebound.  

 

That seems likely to be politically unacceptable but it is the only thing that will do the job from what I know.  

Or we could just feed all the venison to whatever group you don't like, and see what happens....

Edited by delcecchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was probably always around but the deer population was kept to levels that were low enough that it never became an issue until people started to create game farms and food plots that concentrated the deer in smaller areas. 

 

I suppose we could just go all in on the big antler craze and forget about eating them and just take the antlers for the wall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, delcecchi said:

 

Ideally, from a disease control perspective, we would reduce the deer population to some minimal level that has a good chance of having no CWD carrying animals left and then allow the (clean) population to rebound.  

 

The prions will always be in the soil, so the “clean” population will eventually contract them and we’re back to where we are now. 

 

I love the the idea of trying to control CWD, but I don’t believe we can. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the worst case, the population would have to be held at a low level for a few years, like maybe 5.   

 

I still haven't seen much indication that prions in the dirt are an issue in actuality (as opposed to theoretically).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All deer in SE MN need to be wiped out.  90% herd reduction isn't going to stop the disease.  It is wreckless and stupid to do any less.  The whole state herd is going to go in the toilet if the SE guys don't get on the triggers and get their situation under control.  This talk of us vs the deer farms is a stupid smokescreen designed to try to take the focus off private land owners that don't want to cooperate with the mitigation plan.    

 

Anything less will set the stage for CWD to roll hard to the north and get into the big woods where there will be zero chance of ever finding every deer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Paradice said:

All deer in SE MN need to be wiped out.  90% herd reduction isn't going to stop the disease.  It is wreckless and stupid to do any less.  The whole state herd is going to go in the toilet if the SE guys don't get on the triggers and get their situation under control.  This talk of us vs the deer farms is a stupid smokescreen designed to try to take the focus off private land owners that don't want to cooperate with the mitigation plan.    

 

Anything less will set the stage for CWD to roll hard to the north and get into the big woods where there will be zero chance of ever finding every deer.   

 

Dude, do you know how to use the emoticons? 

It's always good to use one of these when making a Joke!  🙂 😀 😅 😂  😉

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paradice said:

All deer in SE MN need to be wiped out.  90% herd reduction isn't going to stop the disease.  It is wreckless and stupid to do any less.  The whole state herd is going to go in the toilet if the SE guys don't get on the triggers and get their situation under control.  This talk of us vs the deer farms is a stupid smokescreen designed to try to take the focus off private land owners that don't want to cooperate with the mitigation plan.    

 

Anything less will set the stage for CWD to roll hard to the north and get into the big woods where there will be zero chance of ever finding every deer.   

 

Lots of reality here.

 

Seriously, if we truly want to wipe out CWD, all deer/elk farms need to be wiped out, all natural deer scents need to be banned and taken out of production and every single deer/elk anywhere near a positive CWD infected area needs to be wiped out. Every last one of them! And then, all deer that are found in these areas for at least 10 years need to be destroyed. 

 

Is this a sacrifice the state is willing to make? Not a chance! So we fall to the only other option, we adapt and live with it. 

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys may be right.  May as well start draining every dam lake with invasive species in it to make sure it's stopped, cut down ever dam Ash tree, start shooting every Sparrow, Pheasant and netting all the Smelt out of Superior that will take some time.

But we can do it!!!  Insert crazy emoticon here: 😵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's why I remain in the adapt and live with it and hope for a solution that doesn't destroy our already sub-par deer hunting in MN. (and fishing when it comes to aquatic invaders)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

That's why I remain in the adapt and live with it and hope for a solution that doesn't destroy our already sub-par deer hunting in MN. (and fishing when it comes to aquatic invaders)

What type of solution? 

 

Not it directed at you personally but I find it amusing that by and larger hunters and fishermen are the most anti government anti regulation types yet are the first to overharvest due to lack of self control and then are the first to Beyotch when the DNR doesn’t stop it. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

What type of solution? 

 

Not it directed at you personally but I find it amusing that by and larger hunters and fishermen are the most anti government anti regulation types yet are the first to overharvest due to lack of self control and then are the first to Beyotch when the DNR doesn’t stop it. 

 

 

 

A way to kill the prion. As far as I know, it survives indefinitely. If we can kill it, we actually have a chance of wiping it off the face of the earth.  Until then, it's a winless battle, IMO. 

 

As far as your last comment, not sure why that was brought up if you weren't directing it at me, or at least think I fit this generalization... Not sure where in any post that I have ever made, you'd get the slightest idea that I was the type of person you describe. While I am for limited govt, and reeling in some rules and regulations, I am overall an adamant supporter of most of our fish and game laws. When it comes to what is currently taking place to "control" CWD, I don't think it's working, and I think other avenues need to be explored in more detail. I've stated that I'm pretty fluid on my opinion on CWD, so part of me sees what is taking place as maybe being necessary, but, seeing the end results thus far, it appears to not be working. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

 

A way to kill the prion. As far as I know, it survives indefinitely. If we can kill it, we actually have a chance of wiping it off the face of the earth.  Until then, it's a winless battle, IMO. 

 

As far as your last comment, not sure why that was brought up if you weren't directing it at me, or at least think I fit this generalization... Not sure where in any post that I have ever made, you'd get the slightest idea that I was the type of person you describe. While I am for limited govt, and reeling in some rules and regulations, I am overall an adamant supporter of most of our fish and game laws. When it comes to what is currently taking place to "control" CWD, I don't think it's working, and I think other avenues need to be explored in more detail. I've stated that I'm pretty fluid on my opinion on CWD, so part of me sees what is taking place as maybe being necessary, but, seeing the end results thus far, it appears to not be working. 

 

 

I can only say I think you are a pretty straight up guy and it wasn't your post that I was talking about at all. I was just commenting on the way these discussions generally go and if I would have made the second paragraph in a new post the forum would have merged them automatically anyway so I just used this approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2018 at 10:50 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

What type of solution? 

 

Not it directed at you personally but I find it amusing that by and larger hunters and fishermen are the most anti government anti regulation types yet are the first to overharvest due to lack of self control and then are the first to Beyotch when the DNR doesn’t stop it. 

 

 

There's nothing amusing, or even confusing as to why it happens.  It would be more confusing if outdoorsmen didn't overharvest.  Look no further than Harden's Tragedy of the Commons.  

 

 

There's a near perfect correlation with the amount of free public resources and the inferior quality of those resources.  This is why reservations are largely wilderness ghettos.  It's why Red Lake collapsed.  The student loan bubble.  This is also why urban ghettos are looted every time there is a riot.  Subsidized housing, drinking water, livestock farming etc.  

 

When people aren't responsible for the effects their actions have on the system they're impacting, those systems will fail.  But hey, keep helping the state buy up all the land and monopolize the lakes.  Maybe someday enough of that insanity will yield a different result.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...