• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

5 Lb Propane Tanks

jbird68

Why are the 5 lb. propane tanks so expensive and hard to find. I've looked online for them and they are usually about $60. 20# tanks are about $40 full. Wanting to possibly stop using the 1lb. tanks for my buddy heater and go with a 5lb. tank that will last longer. Oh, and I'm on foot 100% of the time. 

Edited by jbird68

Don't suppose you have room in your sled for the 20lb tank?  I know those 5 and 11 lb tanks are crazy expensive. 

I've also been curious about filling them. Most of the  stations around me just have a base price to fill a 20LB tank, doesn't matter how much propane it actually takes to fill it.  I would hope you don't have to pay that same price just to fill a 5lb tank, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did.

I’ve had this same issue myself for years. I like using a hose to a bigger tank but the 20lber is impractical unless able to drive out. I’ve searched for the 5lb and can find them easily ( Cabela’s, Fleet Farm). But the price will kill a guy. I can buy 2 maybe 3 20lb cylinders for the price of one 5lb. My solution, just continue to buy and use 1lb. Sams club is by far the cheapest at $12.50 (ish) for a 4 pack. I can usually get by on about 1 cylinder per 2 outings on average. Takes 4-6 4 packs per season for Me. Which yes is a lot compared to just refilling them but “convince” is more appealing then the cost IMO.

I got an old  10lb'er on craiglist  for $10 a few years ago, got it re-certified at a local propane co-op and never looked back.  I love it.

Has anyone used this, if so how do you like it: Flame King Refillable 1 LB Empty Propane Cylinder Tank  with Refill Kit that looks like it would be ideal. 

image.png.fe2bcf072e44a158f5fc2dd3729cffe3.png

that looks slick but probably pretty spendy if you need to use the refillable cylinder. I wonder if coleman would work?  I just watched a different video where the one pounders are filled while using a small curved forceps to vent while filling. Went to garage and filled 3 that way. Worked dandy. Nothing has to be chilled. 

7 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I guess I could repost the photos of my neighbor's house and garage engulfed in flames from when they were refilling those one pound cylinders.......   It was really interesting to watch.....

Maybe you shouldn't of had lit up that Doobie!!:P

Just kidding Del.

13 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I guess I could repost the photos of my neighbor's house and garage engulfed in flames from when they were refilling those one pound cylinders.......   It was really interesting to watch.....

what happened?

1 minute ago, eyeguy 54 said:

what happened?

I'll post some pics, they are on another computer.  Basically he was filling pounders in the garage and something leaked.  The space heater ignited the propane leading to excitement in the neighborhood. 

4 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

that looks slick but probably pretty spendy if you need to use the refillable cylinder. I wonder if coleman would work?  

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/steel-1-lb-refillable-cylinder-with-refill-kit/ysn1lbkt/p-1491546053102.htm

Only $34.99 at Menards. That looks like the real ticket. Personally I would never re-fill those coleman 1 lbers. They aren't made for it and it seems dangerous to me. This kit comes with one refillable cylinder so you might need to buy one or two more but then they are supposedly good for 12 years. I think I might buy myself one for the holidays.

6 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I use a small scale and weigh them. I fill one minute or so on a stopwatch and shut off. Always very close to one pound. Took a bit at first to get it down but now I can do 20 one pounders for about 15 bucks instead of 50. :) 

Been there done that. Not worth refilling. I'll stick to my 20 lbers!

2 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

A guy would probably want to buy a back up canister, at that price you could buy a 5lb and save a couple bucks. 

Just my opinion but I find the 1 pounders to be convenient. I used to hook up a hose to my mr. Heater/Cooker years ago and run off a 20 pounder and I almost melted through the hose. I never found dealing with a hose and a tank to be as convenient as using the 1 pounders. 

For me, if it were all about saving a couple of bucks, I would just buy my fish in a store. It seems funny to me that guys that spend thousands of dollars to sit on a sheet of ice and catch fish would risk their safety trying to save a couple of bucks on propane.

But again, that's just my opinion.

14 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I remember the pictures you posted of your neighbors house. Those pictures along with the news paper article about the guy from WI that blew up his garage and killed his wife were enough to convince me not to refill 1lb tanks.

Here's an old post I found about the WI explosion:

mtbucket

Posted February 6, 2012

Thoughts and prayers to this man and his family. It makes me wonder if he was one of the guys that said " I have done it for years with no problems".

POLK COUNTY (WCCO) — One person is dead and another is in the hospital after a garage explosion and fire Saturday, according to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office.

The Sheriff’s Office says the incident occurred at 657 U.S. Highway 8 in Apple River Township. Stanley Johnson, 81, was inside the garage “actively filling a small 1 lb LP cylinder from a larger 20 lb tank” when the small tank ruptured and ignited the escaping gas.

Johnson’s wife, 77-year-old Nancy Johnson, was in the garage area when the explosion occurred. She was pronounced deceased on scene.

Stanley Johnson was able to escape the garage. He was transported to Amery Regional Medical Center for treatment of his injuries

25 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Just my opinion but I find the 1 pounders to be convenient. I used to hook up a hose to my mr. Heater/Cooker years ago and run off a 20 pounder and I almost melted through the hose. I never found dealing with a hose and a tank to be as convenient as using the 1 pounders. 

For me, if it were all about saving a couple of bucks, I would just buy my fish in a store. It seems funny to me that guys that spend thousands of dollars to sit on a sheet of ice and catch fish would risk their safety trying to save a couple of bucks on propane.

But again, that's just my opinion.

yea but i've seen you fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??:rolleyes:

i've never had issues with hose melting or found it to be inconvenient, but to each there own. i have concidered an 11 lb tank!

I used the 10 pound tank for a long time when I had the pop up. didn't care for it in the clam scout. Do you guys drive cars? A lot of people die in them every year... dump happens. Be safe if you refill. don't have any flame in area and refill the correct way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM