• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vertical Smokers

Well the old propane " smokey mountain " of 16 years or so is getting to the point of hammering on the regulator and burner to work so I think it's time. 

I've got my eye on this pit boss pellet smoker, I do like how the cook range will go higher than the competition especially for foiling to finish ribs. Any thoughts or experience with this brand?

Screenshot_20181118-153057_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I have a pit boss (Cabela's) pellet grill and it is a very good unit. IMHO it is a better built unit than Traeger.

I would not hesitate to buy a vertical from them if I was looking. 

agree.jpg

27 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Get ready to be a slave to the hopper!  What they run an hour or so before refilling? ?

4566423.gif

The big one holds like 60 pounds of pellets and can run for 24 hours or more before refilling. Did you actually have anything to add to the discussion? :lol:

32 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Get ready to be a slave to the hopper!  What they run an hour or so before refilling? ?

Do you actually know anything about pellet smokers?

With the PB Copperhead Pellet Smoker there is no need to fret about cooking lengths – its 40 pound plus hopper allows you to cook for up to 24 hours!

BTW, how long do the wood chips last in your electric smoker, 30 minutes?

16 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

No kidden,  and smurf was no where near.. ? Green mountain huh, I'll hafta check them also..

;) nope tryin to clean up my act!!!!!!!:P why not go back to what you had, or used to?????????????

I bought a Charbroil electric. Really like it. I got the stand for it and put a wheel set on to roll it around. It's got a remote too so you can sit and watch the game inside and still keep an eye on heat, internal meat temp and time and make changes if needed.  I filled the wood chip holder 2 times in the 8hrs the brisket was smoking. ?

IMG_3156.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

Edited by leech~~

32 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

My new set up. Got it mid-summer from a friend who hardly used it. So far I have done ribs, loin, crappies, and eggs. And pickles 2 times. excellent on a burger!  

Bradley Smoker.jpg

Like the rolling cabinet. Looks like a nice storage area for wood chips, scrappers, tin foil and all the other gizmos needed for grilling and smoking. And gets the smoker up so you don't have to bend down to fill it. ?

I bought a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40" last winter and ended up giving it to a friend of mine to have at his cabin. They are fine, don't get me wrong but I just wasn't happy with the ribs I made in there as opposed to a charcoal smoker. It is ironic that Leech made the comment about a vertical pellet smoker needing to be refilled often because that is one of the things I didn't like about my MES. Maybe Leech's Char Broil has a bigger wood chip hopper but the MES had to be filled about every 20 minutes to keep smoke rolling.

I'm not against electric smokers and if that is what I had started out on I would probably still be using it but I found that instead of having a minimum of 3 pieces of grilling equipment to store and maintain, I can do everything I need to do with just a pellet grill and still have the ease of set it and forget it like an electric smoker. If I needed a very large cooking space I wouldn't hesitate to pick up one of those Pit Boss verticals even if I ended up changing out the controller for something with better temp control.