• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Single Stage Snow Throwers

Moonshine

I have an 8-10 year old 2 stage toro snow thrower that I have had no issues with, however looking to purchase a single stage Honda (HS720ASA).  At home I have a relatively flat concrete driveway 40 feet long by 33 feet wide.  I also have a paved walkway and patio leading to the front door.  The toro works great, but it is so bulky to maneuver and seems like overkill for what I am clearing.  Also, when I am out of town and it snow, the wife is not able to use the two stage.  The single stage might be easier for both of us, but I don't want to buy something that will be insufficient.  I live in the cities, in a culdesac, and get large piles of snow at the end of my driveway.  My question is if others who have purchased a single stage under similar conditions have been happy with their purchase?

I can use the Toro at our cabin around the garage, house and parking areas.  I have been digging up my lawn with the ATV plow and am tired of reseeding every spring.  Hopefully this will give me the best of both worlds.  Appreciate the insight.

In my experience the best solution is to have both a single stage and a 2 stage.  The better 2 stage blowers out there will probably be fine for 90% of our snowfalls and in most cases they do a better job on the smaller snowfalls because they scrape the driveway cleaner.  The 2 stages are nice for the really big snowfalls, windblown drifts, and the snowplow drifts.  You can always deal with the lager snow falls by getting out once during the storm to clear the driveway so you don't have so much to do once its all done. 

I've had ok luck with a Snapper single stage handling snow plow drifts and smaller wind blown drifts.  You have to go slow and maybe chop up the drift with a shovel if its too big but its doable.  Even if you have to break up the drift a little with a shovel that can be easier than maneuvering a large 2 stage at times. 

If I could only have one blower I'd probably opt for one of the larger single stage blowers.  My wife has a hard time handling my large Toro 2 stage and most of the time its just over kill for smaller snowfalls and ends up taking more time than a good single stage would. My mother in law has the Snapper single stage and she can run that just fine on her own so I think almost anyone could. 

I live in the burbs  on a cul-de-sac and the plow always leaves a huge pile at the end of my driveway. I bought a single stage Toro, and while I don't have a 2-stage to compare it against, I would definitely buy a single stage again. It's plenty powerful enough to handle the deepest, heaviest snow that accumulates on the driveway. When it comes to the pile at the end of the driveway, you just have to work your way though it by backing out and pushing into it again. Of course, if you're out of town or something and the pile at the end of the driveway freezes you might need to get out a shovel. But for most snowfalls I can clean the driveway in a matter of minutes - you almost have to run behind the thing to keep up with it.

The best snow thrower I’ve used is the one that uses your arms and a shovel? No blower or plow for me I can have the driveway done in the same amount of time if not a hair faster than a blower and, we’ve got a pretty decent sized driveway to, We get a good pile at the end from the grader that plows the township roads. I have wanted to mount a plow on one of the wheelers to plow the road as our township is extremely cheap and there must be Minimum 3-4 inches to plow. Anyway single stages are better for smaller drive ways and less snow. Personally I’d never by a single stage as you get a decent snow load and it may get frustrating or that pile at the end from the plow. But being you have a 2 stage as well it shouldn’t be an issue. Finding a good heavy duty rig with a good engine is key. Toro makes a good blower as well as huqvarna IMO. Im not sure if  huqvarna evenmakes smaller blower though.

I have used a Toro single stage for about 10 years now. I was very skeptical until I helped a friend with snow removal. I won't ever go back to a 2 stage. Mine is a 2 stroke but I've seen the 4 stroke Toros in action and they seem just as good. There have been a couple times of heavy snow fall where I had to do the driveway in the middle of a storm and again at the end and also times of breaking up the plow ridge at the end but the pros far outweigh the cons. I like that it folds up like a lawnmower. When I get the mower out in the spring the blower goes under the shelf. No more big bulky blower in the way all the time and the rubber paddles clean right down to the cement. It's light enough to throw in the pickup and if you lift on the handles it'll propel itself if the snow isn't super deep. Go for the single. You won't regret it. 

Edited by huntnfish

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I wouldn't get the Honda 4-Cycle Single Stage.  We have one at work and they are gutless wonders.  We also have the Toro 2 cycle single stage and that has a lot more balls!  IMO.  ?

I thought they were all 4-cycle.  The ones I saw so fare were.

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

A good bottle of bourbon or case of beer might make a difference.....;)

Agreed that will help calm my nerves when I see a big pile of snow pushed up in my yard, but I was looking to stop it from happening.

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

Agreed that will help calm my nerves when I see a big pile of snow pushed up in my yard, but I was looking to stop it from happening.

I think he's saying for the plow operator!!!  LOL!!!  yes it would help ya until ya wake up!!!

1 hour ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

The best snow thrower I’ve used is the one that uses your arms and a shovel? No blower or plow for me I can have the driveway done in the same amount of time if not a hair faster than a blower

Lol, I get it. Your blowing Sunshine up Moonshines ars!   ?  ?

th.jpg

Edited by leech~~

38 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

He goes by the name Moonshine, I'm guessing it takes more than a bottle of bourbon or case of beer to do the job. 

I just re-read Dave's message.  Didn't realize it was an "or", not an "and" in that sentence.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

And I welcome a challenge between whoever thinks they can shovel faster my than my snowblower.  That's just crazy talk.

May be when we have that Gas auger-EverReady auger drill off.  We can have a blower-shovel off with AlwaysFishing23 shoveling and someones blower! ?

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

May be when we have that Gas auger-EverReady auger drill off.  We can have a blower-shovel off with AlwaysFishing23 shoveling and someones blower! ?

Maybe have Duffman coordinate it to coincide with the Silly Town get together. ?

4 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I have no idea why you would mess with a single stage in this state, but hey whatever.

Have you ever used a quality single stage snow blower? Check out what snow removal contractors are using. Hint: it's not 2 stage blowers usually.

I can’t speak for the walk behind styles but I know my old single stage blower on the tractor does just fine and throws snow plenty well compared to a two stage.

Ive been told that if that’s what ive been running, I wouldn’t be happy “updating “ to a 2 stage by the guy that would’ve sold me the 2 stage.  If that says anything for ya.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

I can’t speak for the walk behind styles but I know my old single stage blower on the tractor does just fine and throws snow plenty well compared to a two stage.

Ive been told that if that’s what ive been running, I wouldn’t be happy “updating “ to a 2 stage by the guy that would’ve sold me the 2 stage.  If that says anything for ya.

Key words: Tractor vs walk behind. 

image.png.694613bdb354f0e7e49c9c538f67963c.png

image.png.d657d4e5cc6643844933aa43d403d3c3.png

10 hours ago, smurfy said:

I wouldn't own anything but a 2 stage. Can someone explain why a single stage is better?

Faster

Typically more affordable

Easier to transport - I was able to fold the handles down and bring it home in the back seat of a sedan

Plenty powerful for the average driveway and snowfall
Don't need to add an addition to your garage to store it

Don't know if that makes it better, but that's why I prefer mine to my folk's 2 stage.

6 minutes ago, Getanet said:

Faster

Typically more affordable

Easier to transport - I was able to fold the handles down and bring it home in the back seat of a sedan

Plenty powerful for the average driveway and snowfall
Don't need to add an addition to your garage to store it

Don't know if that makes it better, but that's why I prefer mine to my folk's 2 stage.

They also do a better job of cleaning the driveway all the way to the pavement.  2 stage blowers always leave some residual snow.  

There are times a 2 stage is really the preferred option but for all but that absolute biggest snowfalls (minimum 12"+) a single stage will clean your driveway quicker and better.  Its also easier for the wife to do it which is beneficial.  I've had a few hunting and ice fishing trips capped off by coming home to a driveway the wife wasn't able to clear with my large 2 stage blower so she spent the weekend driving through the snow packing it down onto the driveway. 

I suspect the folks that are adamant about 2 stages being superior probably haven't used a quality single stage blower.