• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lower Unit Oil

knoppers

I have always put in 80w-90 into my lower units, I just bought 75w-90 full synthetic oil. is this OK to use in a lower unit? I chickened out on my 200 HPDI and put in 80w-90. so I still have 2 full quarts of the 75w-90, was wondering if anyone has used this, and is it OK to use in a marine lower unit.

1 hour ago, knoppers said:

the chain saw spins extra fast with that oil.

? A sign you shouldn't be running snowmobile oil in a chainsaw perhaps?  Naw.  I'm sure you're extending the the chainsaws lifespan by having it run fast.

I have heard that regular auto gear lube of any weight doesn't have the anti foaming and water suspending capabilities of a marine grade oil specific for use in outboard lower units.