• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat5 Vs Cat6

since I have just been upgraded to 200meg speed, I had to buy a new router that was fast enough to handle the higher speed. I did a speed test on my computer with the old router and got 75meg speed, since hooking up the new router, my speed jumped up to 215meg. I have a smart TV hooked up to the network, so I did a speed test on that with the new router, and it only hit 73meg. thinking it could be the 50 foot cat5e cable, I hooked up my old computer at my TV, and that only hit 73. my question is if I get a newer cat6 cable, will that get the same speed, or the 200meg speed to the TV?

It is hard to say if the cable is the bottleneck. It could also be the NIC card in the old computer but... since the TV is getting the same speed it sure seems like the feed cable is the bottleneck. Wish I was closer cause it would take no time to whip up a new cable vs what it cost to buy one. Cat 5 is smaller gauge wires and less twist per inch then Cat 6

well I was at menards today, so I picked up a 50ft cat6 cable for only 13 bucks, I hooked it up, and still only got 75meg speed on the TV. I did not try the computer. I am thinking its all the faster the TV can run. I will hook up the computer sunday for a test.