• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where Ya Opening The Season

ozzie

Tis the season of a Minnesota Holiday and the opening of the firearms season for deer!!  Where ya going to be sitting come sun up on Saturday? Tell us about your set up, your camp, your camp characters!  Give an idea of why this time of year is special for you.

For me, I am starting a new tradition (I hope), and hunting in the Crosslake area after about 10 years hunting in farm country in the Princeton area.  As some may recall, last year I had a run in with a neighbor to a chunk of land that I had been hunting for 8-9 years, that resulted in the neighbor being arrested the 2nd time I had to call the authorities out to the land.  Since that was not fun, and I cannot safely enjoy my time out there, I was left scrambling to find a new hunting spot.  I decided I would go north to my in-laws in Crosslake.  Father-in law has always got his deer up there and I figure as he gets older he will not quit hunting but should have help if needed.  Also my kid is now 10, and will be joining me more in the next couple years, and Gpa will want to hunt with him too.  I have some connection in the area through friends and just happened to notice that one of the acquaintances happened to just move to a former chunk of Potlatch land that looked real promising.  So I asked if he minded me either joining him on his land, or parking on his land, and spreading out on the public land around his place.  He said he wasn't hunting this year and that I could sit in his stand if I wanted!!  So I scoped out the area and come to find that he has a nice box stand with windows and all the comforts needed for a long sit!  The stand sits on a hill with valleys on either side of it.  One valley comes out of a swamp and the other comes from a pinch point between a river and a lake!  As much as I will miss hunting the land of agriculture and swamps I am excited to see what my future hunts bring me in the big woods of the north!  Good Luck to everyone this year and most of all make it a safe one making memories!!!  

Edited by ozzie

I am also hoping that this year is the start of a new tradition. I have been a slug hunter out near Herman since I was 12 (25 years) but this year my step-dad bailed on us suddenly after hunting with him for those 25 years. Since it was his land/contacts that we hunted, it left me and my 2 sons (17 & 14) without a place to hunt. At first I was quite upset that he bailed on us (the day before the antlerless lottery was due) but then I stumbled into 40 acres of cheap land up by Warroad that I now own. It's some nasty thick brushland with some Birch, Tamarack and Black Spruce mixed in and it's going to be tough hunting this year but it's ours. We only got one small trail in and one stand up, but it's a start. I don't expect much this year since we haven't had much time to prepare but hope my boys get a chance at something. This year we are staying in a pop-up, it's going to be cold, but it should be a fun time regardless. I picked up a couple 30-06's for my boys. Couldn't afford 3, so I still be slinging slugs. 

Hopefully this time next year it will have taken shape and year 2 of our new tradition will feature a bunk house, some trails and stands. 

20181020_100809.jpg

20181021_115027.jpg

I traded my rifle for a bow a few years ago now and while I am happy with the decision I do miss the excitement of opening day and traveling north with a few buddies.  We didn't have a long established tradition and we hopped from one public spot to another in search of a little peace and quiet that we never really found but it was still fun albeit frustrating.  Now I spend all my time bow hunting and have access to land that is bow only without any rifle hunting for miles.  I won't be out on rifle opener but I should be out the middle of next week for my 4th trip of the season.  

I will be hunting with my 13 yr old son and my 15 yr old nephew the opening weekend. We will be on my parents land near Frazee. This will be my 35th opener there. Over the years I have built quite a few enclosed stands so we will be quite comfy. Our opening stand is a pinch point from big woods to tamarac swamp. I have shot a lot of deer there and some dandy bucks. Would be fantastic if the big chocalte horned 10 shows up fro my son! During the week I will be going to a few other properties. Might even drag the Bow out on a Bow only property if I am not seeing much in other areas.

2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Grandkids here over this weekend.  WIll hit area 603 on thursday morning after opener.4th year down that way with family. 

OK, so your not the cool Grandpa!  That's cool!   

On my land with one buddy in area 241. Which stand I am in will depend on the wind, and the weather, I have box stands if it is raining, otherwise in one of my ladder stands. Evenings are by the wood stove in my shack with a toddy, reading, or picking a guitar. Good luck everybody, hunt safe.

On 10/29/2018 at 1:17 PM, jbell1981 said:

I am also hoping that this year is the start of a new tradition. I have been a slug hunter out near Herman since I was 12 (25 years) but this year my step-dad bailed on us suddenly after hunting with him for those 25 years. Since it was his land/contacts that we hunted, it left me and my 2 sons (17 & 14) without a place to hunt. At first I was quite upset that he bailed on us (the day before the antlerless lottery was due) but then I stumbled into 40 acres of cheap land up by Warroad that I now own. It's some nasty thick brushland with some Birch, Tamarack and Black Spruce mixed in and it's going to be tough hunting this year but it's ours. We only got one small trail in and one stand up, but it's a start. I don't expect much this year since we haven't had much time to prepare but hope my boys get a chance at something. This year we are staying in a pop-up, it's going to be cold, but it should be a fun time regardless. I picked up a couple 30-06's for my boys. Couldn't afford 3, so I still be slinging slugs. 

Hopefully this time next year it will have taken shape and year 2 of our new tradition will feature a bunk house, some trails and stands. 

20181020_100809.jpg

20181021_115027.jpg

This is Great and starting a new tradition for your boys.  I love this kind of stuff, it makes it a lot more fun doing your own thing.  Who knows in a few years. May be your step-dad will want to come up and hunt your spot!  ?

I’ll be in our area 172 deer camp with my duck hunting shoes on.  I plan to  greet Saturday dawn lying in a skiff in a rice bed surrounded by decoys.

Hopefully I can collect up my birds before too many texts come in to help the kids with their deer! ?  Keeping in mind these are 20 something kids 

Good luck All and enjoy a safe hunt.

Well the weekend came and went with little excitement, which for me, isn't such a bad thing!  I sat in luxury this weekend and wonder if it was a reason I didn't see many deer...but then I thought back to years past and froze my butt off and saw nothing.  This was way more enjoyable sitting in a box stand with windows and a heater!  Heard a few shots out there so I know a few deer dropped...lets see some trophy pics!!

well that is cool Dusty!  Staying in deer camp for 10+ days sounds fun as you have plenty of times to hunt and not feel obligated to go out every morning or stay out all day!  Good Luck!!

10 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Well I'll start with a deer picture.

IMG_20181104_095440196.jpg

Eeeeu, so much blood. That thing must of died before it hit the ground! ?  ?

Nice Buck.

Edited by leech~~

6 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Eeeeu, so much blood. That thing must of died before it hit the ground! ?  ?

Nice Buck.

ha not really???? do i really need to tell that story again??????????????

and thanks leech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was a huge animal!!!!! thanks goodness for that can-am wheeler or i'd still be draggin!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

I took one opening morning about 10:40AM. He came in full rut responding to my grunt call and sniffing where I had put rut scent on my boots for the walk in that morning. It was a personal best for me, and better than that, he ran 30 yards and dropped 5 yards from my stand!