• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Heart

minky

Thanks eyeguy, I will give it a try. In my home town (maybe in every small town) there were stories of guys who looked for fresh gut piles just to take the leftover heart and liver. I guess it was different times, waste not / want not.

1 hour ago, minky said:

Thanks eyeguy, I will give it a try. In my home town (maybe in every small town) there were stories of guys who looked for fresh gut piles just to take the leftover heart and liver. I guess it was different times, waste not / want not.

I can leave you some GPS cords of where I left my gut pile if you would like?  Enjoy!  ?

Our camp makes heart and liver every year. I believe the heart is fried in butter. I have tried it but don't care for it and always make sure I save a package of chops from the previous year to eat on heart day. I think ours are soaked in salt water for a couple days before cooking. We also make deer liver and I also pass on that. I like beef liver but not deer. 

12 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Gack hate it, along with liver. But, there are guys in our camp that eat it!  I leave it all in the woods for the Wolves! ?

Just look at how healthy the wolves are!?

Actually you can grind it and put right into sausage or mix it with your burger.

I have eaten moose heart.  It was pretty good, actually.  I presume deer heart is similar.     Only way I eat liver is braunschweiger.

BTW smurfy, dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol.   Feel free to look it up.   Various fats have different effects.

So, shut up and eat some lipitor.

Congrats on the buck Minky. ?

Nothing wrong with heart.  Some folks are really into them.  When we keep them they’re usually soaked in milk, then just fried up as a snack for those who want it.  I’ll eat it and enjoy it but personally think it’s more of a novelty than a delicacy.

Tenderloins are a delicacy. ?

depending on HOW your going to cook it, my brother said when he smokes it he slices it first. the heart is really dense meat so any marinade or seasoning wont penitrate the meat if not sliced! he said he generally slices them to about 1/4 inch slices.

10 hours ago, minky said:

I took a small buck tonight and have the heart soaking in salt water. I wil add an update after I try it. I am thinking i will like it.

never have soaked them in anything. let us know how you like it. 

Well I cooked up my deer heart, I am kinda on the fence about liking it or not. I think next time I will try soaking it in milk like wanderer suggested. I do like trying new things and using as much of the deer I can! Good luck to everyone still hunting.

Yeah, I’d take eyeguy’s advice and not soak it anything once.  I’m of the opinion you don’t ever know the true taste of something until you try it straight up, then adjust from there for your taste.

I mentioned milk cuz that’s how it’s done at deer camp by the camp cook.  I wouldn’t hesitate to just fry in butter or grill or whatever way you prefer any normal cut of venison.

Maybe you’ll get another chance this year?