• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lead

Mike89

22 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

but you can still use it right???

Yes. Just using or selling lead wheel weights is illegal. I should have made that more clear .

Lots of shops still use their old stock I have not heard of any enforcement of the law. 

MINNESOTA

Minnesota lists its lead-based wheel weight penalties under its Waste Management & Pollution Control Statutes.

Minnesota prohibits the sale, offer to sell, distribution and use of lead wheel weights.

Unlike other states, the Minnesota law also covers management of used lead wheel weight recycling, meaning that businesses should be able to track where their used inventories are going when they send them off for recycling. The law states in section 116.072.

(a) The commissioner or county board may issue an order assessing a penalty up to $10,000 for all violations identified during an inspection or other compliance review.

The Minnesota lead-based wheel weight law will become effective January 1, 2016.

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

of the 8-9 dekes i use, only 2 are wod with lead to sink, the rest are plastic that needs to fill with water. and they happen to be my fav!!!!!!!!!!!

The Loons luv yea! ?

th.jpg

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Didn't know about the wheel weight ban...  Interesting.   Are the shops required to track where they go for recycling?  How many they remove from wheels?  

They are required to record the weights they recycle. I do not personally know of any shops doing it. 

I did have a couple of my dealerships have me remove their lead weights and replace them with steel or zinc when the law went into effect. Most decided to use up the stock they had.

It has not been a popular law. There is not a real great substitute for lead at this point.