• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

M18 Brushless For Auger Help

Stickjiggler

I run an 8" lazer but with a Makita drill instead of Milwaukee with no clam plate. In my opinion the side handle that comes with the Milwaukee is a pretty poor design and if you google and look at other sites of guys using them with ice augers you will see they are prone to breaking. The makita one is much sturdier and so far I havent had any issues or felt I need a clam plate. 

I think the new models of milwaukees may have been redesigned  so maybe the handles have improved but I havent used one myself yet.

If you can find a clam plate I would opt for that but I think they are getting hard to find due to high demand.

I still use gas and will continue to. The reliability and ease of use of my solo strikemaster out beats electric everyday. But that’s just me and how I fish. But I’ve done a lot of research on electric setups and if I were you I’d get a clam drill plate ($60-$70) and then mount your drill and your lazer and your set. By far the best setup IMO.

With huge batteries that have come out in the last year or two gas augers will go away. I run 12 amp hour batteries and have some 3 amp hours for back up but I have yet to burn through both 12 amp batteries. I love my clam plate because you set it down like a normal auger and the drill stays off the ice. 

If your using an 8" Lazer I'd get the Clam plate. Your going to have torque to hold back and some Lazers are know to grab at the bottom of the hole.  I'd also take it out of drill setting which locks the chuck and opt for a medium high setting on the clutch till you know how your set is going to act.  If you get the Gen 2 plate it'll bolt right on.