• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hunting Shack Ideas

jbell1981

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

That's really cool. Sort of like a modern day "One Man's Wilderness". 

Leaves many questions to be asked though.....

Why doesn't he use one of his 2 snowmobiles to reach the property?

What's with the beautiful "back woods cabin"? If you have something like that, why stay in a tent?

Looks like he has electricity to this tent? But he can't drive to it?

Those are by far the nicest outhouses I've ever seen though.....

Dave on one of his videos the other really nice cabin is his Dad's which is right down the road which he checks on when up at his. He does have a road to it which he drives to and had a Argo in other videos to take across the lake.  I'm thinking he walks in when the ice is still a bit thin and the snow is to deep to drive all the way in with his truck.  I would love to have his place.

Op, didn't read AlwaysFishing23 post before I posted mine.  I too have been watching a lot of his videos. Very cool stuff.

Edited by leech~~

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Just curious but are you absolutely stuck on the idea of building a small cabin? If you want to save money, I would consider clearing out enough of a driveway to pull in an old camper. You could buy one for less than your budget and it would probably already include many comforts that you would need to spend money on like a furnace, air conditioning, water system, refrigerator, stove, lights, electrical system, etc. All you would have to do is buy a generator and you could have everything you need up and running in no time.

Just a thought because I am getting lazy in my old age and I also like some comforts even when I am roughing it!

I've considered it.  The biggest obstacle for doing that is getting it on the property.  We built a temporary bridge (pictures are in another post) that allows my jeep and a small trailer to cross.  Getting anything larger over it would be tricky due to the steepness of the bank before the bridge and how narrow the road is.  I think even the popup camper I got is going to be fun getting it across. Eventually I'll get a culvert and actual approach in to alleviate that problem but i'm not sure when I'll do that.  

Besides that, after contemplating it some, I think I would prefer to build and have a small cabin. 

Edited by jbell1981

1 hour ago, jbell1981 said:

I've considered it.  The biggest obstacle for doing that is getting it on the property.  We built a temporary bridge (pictures are in another post) that allows my jeep and a small trailer to cross.  Getting anything larger over it would be tricky due to the steepness of the bank before the bridge and how narrow the road is.  I think even the popup camper I got is going to be fun getting it across. Eventually I'll get a culvert and actual approach in to alleviate that problem but i'm not sure when I'll do that.  

Besides that, after contemplating it some, I think I would prefer to build and have a small cabin. 

I can see the issues there and when you are all done you would probably put just as much or more work into a road than the cabin. In that case, I would probably build too. 

I would just be sure to build it with expansion in mind in the future. 

we have a similar size, 12x16 maybe 20? 4 bunks, all open as you can imagine with the size, no elec or water, 12 volt lighting; works perfect for the 5 of us that hunt out of it. although when my kiddos get older it'll get tighter, may have to tent it, trail is too narrow to bring a camper in; you could start off small and just build up over time!

Sometimes the cozy little place with just essentials is part of the adventure of going somewhere.  You’re going to enhance your bond to your new place even more going through these phases.  It sounds like you have solid and realistic expectations for the resources available.  It’s been fun reading about your progress.

In your shack, I might consider using your loft for gear storage more than for sleeping.  That top bunk roast out would be a little aggravating to me since I sleep better in a cold room than hot!  And one tip if you plan to keep it a wood floor on the bottom: get at least some bath mats to put down by your bunks/cots for your feet to land on when you get out of bed on those cool mornings.  You’d be surprised how much they will be appreciated!

I thought of your post when I had this sent to me yesterday:

0CFE2F27-6DCA-4CB6-9924-1175ED032272.thumb.jpeg.ce68d5e4cb55a49196c97451f443453f.jpeg

On 10/3/2018 at 8:31 AM, AlwaysFishing23 said:

I follow this guy very closely and also enjoy his content a lot. He dosent own any sleds any more and said he always enjoys the walk across the lake more than have to drag up some sleds (Only about a 3/4mile walk) The “ back woods cabin” is his parents place. His dad along with the help of his son (who owns the tent) built that entire place and strarted by clearing trees. His dad came up 4-5 years ago while his son has been there for over 10 now. He use to use a Honda generator but a few years ago had a line dug in for electric and installed a hand pump well. His is the owner of a construction company and builds long furniture on his down time and believe me the guy makes some AWSOME stuff. As far as driving in he drives in from the end of April till thanksgiving but between there during the winter the roads he uses to get in are all groomed ski trails that don’t allow vehicles. The location is about 1-1.5 hrs straight north of Two Harbors right on the BWCA line. Hope this helps you answer some of your questions Big Dave.

actually his dad has been there for over 30 years the back woods cabin is his parents second cabin they built there , sold the first one for a very nice price. i've known Joe for 30 plus years

Are your bunks going to be on the main floor?  What is the loft going to be used for? 

If the bunks are on the main floor with the ladder in between it looks like you may end up with some dead space behind the ladder and between the 2 bunks.  In a space that size every inch counts so you may want to figure out a good way to utilize that space.

I think you'll be happy you added the extra square footage over your original plan.

3 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Are your bunks going to be on the main floor?  What is the loft going to be used for? 

If the bunks are on the main floor with the ladder in between it looks like you may end up with some dead space behind the ladder and between the 2 bunks.  In a space that size every inch counts so you may want to figure out a good way to utilize that space.

I think you'll be happy you added the extra square footage over your original plan.

Yes, the bunks will be on the main floor. The will be a futon type bottom, so seating when need, sleeping at night. Something like this.

I figured some sort of shelf system could go between them (behind the ladder) to put bags or gear on. Putting the ladder anywhere else took up to much space. 

The loft would mainly be additional sleeping area or storage depending on how many are staying on a particular outing. 

It's share Opinions time!  ?

Why skids and not blocks? Blocks don't rot. Also, are you going to insulate the floor it can help greatly keep the heat in?  Find something the critters can't make a nest in under there.

I'd may be make one bunk for Dad and any other older timers on the main floor and the kids can sleep up in the loft.  This will save some floor space on the main floor which will be where most of your time will be spent.  Their young and can climb!  ?

P.s take care of my popup camper for next season! Wrap it up good for the winter. ?

Edited by leech~~

4 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

It share Opinions time!  ?

Yup, bring it on! I'm open to all suggestions and constructive criticism. 

5 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Why skids and not blocks? Blocks don't rot.

Although, not intended, skids will make it easier to move if need be. It will also make leveling easier. The soil isn't very stable and i'm guessing yearly adjustments will need to be made. 

7 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Also, are you going to insulate the floor it can help greatly keep the heat in?  Find something the critters can't make a nest in under there.

Yes, it's going to be insulated, just haven't decided on how yet. 

8 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

I'd may be make one bunk for Dad and any other older timers on the main floor and the kids can sleep up in the loft.  This will save some floor space on the main floor which will be where most of your time will be spent.  Their young and can climb!  ?

That's why 2 bunks. Have you met an "older timer" that likes to sleep on a top bunk? Couples/old guys get the bottom bunks. The kids get top bunks and/or the loft.

19 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

P.s take care of my popup camper for next season! Wrap it up good for the winter. ?

We'll see. We left it a bit of a mess and still "popped up" ?. Probably won't get back up there until January to see how it's faired. 

Edited by jbell1981

12 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

Yes, it's going to be insulated, just haven't decided on how yet. 

That's why 2 bunks. Have you met an "older timer" that likes to sleep on a top bunk? Couples/old guys get the bottom bunks. The kids get top bunks and/or the loft.

I would may be throw in some good 3"-4" pink board with a vapor barrier on it and find some of the rodent mat stuff they use under RV's now or screen to keep the critters out.

The kids would love hanging out in their own place up in the loft then sleeping above a snoring dad or grandpa! Lol.

Edited by leech~~

52 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

Yes, the bunks will be on the main floor. The will be a futon type bottom, so seating when need, sleeping at night. Something like this.

I figured some sort of shelf system could go between them (behind the ladder) to put bags or gear on. Putting the ladder anywhere else took up to much space. 

The loft would mainly be additional sleeping area or storage depending on how many are staying on a particular outing. 

Its hard to see exactly how the bunks will fit with that ladder but the bunk you linked to had the ladder on the sides.  One side will be up against the wall so that ladder can't be used and the other ladder is on the side behind the loft ladder so you'll need that side accessible to climb up into the top bunk.  Based on the drawing you posted I'm just not sure how much room there will be to get around the loft ladder and into the space between the 2 bunks.  A shelf for gear storage is a good idea just make sure you can get back there and you have enough room to still climb the bunk bed ladders. 

How long do you expect the house to last and what do you plan to use for the skids?  With skids I'd worry about longevity.  The skids won't last forever. I'd really think about sticking with blocks if you want this place to be around for a long time.  There has to be a reasonable way to level blocks if need be.  You'll have to jack up the cabin either way.  Or look at what you can possibly do to the spot you're placing the cabin in order to prep the soil for having a structure on it.  Maybe compact it and get some gravel down and compact that and then build up on what should be a more stable ground.

Have you ever watched the cable TV program called "Building Off The Grid"? I think it is mostly on a channel called DIY network but I caught a few episodes on Discovery Channel I think it was. The first episode I saw was a guy building a remote cabin in Alaska. He was using some sort of adjustable supports for the foundation just for the reasons you gave.

2 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Its hard to see exactly how the bunks will fit with that ladder but the bunk you linked to had the ladder on the sides.  One side will be up against the wall so that ladder can't be used and the other ladder is on the side behind the loft ladder so you'll need that side accessible to climb up into the top bunk.  Based on the drawing you posted I'm just not sure how much room there will be to get around the loft ladder and into the space between the 2 bunks.  A shelf for gear storage is a good idea just make sure you can get back there and you have enough room to still climb the bunk bed ladders. 

The link was just an example. The ladder will need to be on the front for the bunks, not the side. 

4 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

How long do you expect the house to last and what do you plan to use for the skids?  With skids I'd worry about longevity.  The skids won't last forever. I'd really think about sticking with blocks if you want this place to be around for a long time.  There has to be a reasonable way to level blocks if need be.  You'll have to jack up the cabin either way.  Or look at what you can possibly do to the spot you're placing the cabin in order to prep the soil for having a structure on it.  Maybe compact it and get some gravel down and compact that and then build up on what should be a more stable ground.

I'm leaning towards skids, they would be triple treated 2x10's. If I go with blocks, I would use a deck block and an adjustable base, something similar to this

The problem with the soil is that it's saturated underground to a depth of 5'-0 or more. I'd have to get past that for it to make a difference. 90% of the land in this area is considered Bullwinkle muck. Obviously I haven't dug down to verify this but I am guessing that's what I'm dealing with. 

bwm1.PNG

42 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Have you ever watched the cable TV program called "Building Off The Grid"? I think it is mostly on a channel called DIY network but I caught a few episodes on Discovery Channel I think it was. The first episode I saw was a guy building a remote cabin in Alaska. He was using some sort of adjustable supports for the foundation just for the reasons you gave.

No I haven't. I'll see if I can find it.

1 hour ago, jbell1981 said:

Although, not intended, skids will make it easier to move if need be. It will also make leveling easier. The soil isn't very stable and i'm guessing yearly adjustments will need to be made. 

For what it's worth, our shack was built on skids - railroad ties actually I believe - the guys used whatever they could find at the time. The shack had to be moved once, and it's nearly 30 years old now. But either from the move or rotting, the floor has buckled pretty good in a few places - not much is level in our shack. It only gets used a few weekends a year during deer hunting so no big deal to us.

53 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

The link was just an example. The ladder will need to be on the front for the bunks, not the side. 

I had to go and look, I guess there are a few bunk beds with futons that have a ladder on the front.  Most have them on the side in order to not block the fold out futon. 

18 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I had to go and look, I guess there are a few bunk beds with futons that have a ladder on the front.  Most have them on the side in order to not block the fold out futon. 

Even if there wasn't, I wouldn't be afraid of modifying something to make it work.