• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Furnace Help

jbell1981

First get an air hose and shop vac and blow the craap out of it.

Hook that gas line back up.

Run a welding tip cleaner through the propane gas orifices and clean out the air tube right before it for spider webs.

Then check for spark at the igniter and give her a try if you have a spark.

Utube has a lot of videos to check out as well.

Do you have a Make and Model number for it?  The Underwriter Lab tag is just the spec it is Mfg under.

Good luck.

Edited by leech~~

You say you can’t get it going.

What DOES it do?

There’s always a sequence of operations to run HVAC equipment.  Knowing if it does some things or nothing at all is Important.

Looks like fresh marks on the flare from you diconnecting it.  But ya, like Leech said, better have that connected.  Do you get propane to that point?

Like said clean it, get the make and model, hook up the propane, and 12 volts.

Once you get the model you can lookup lighting instructions.  Besides having a thermocouple  there is also a sail switch so lighting procedure has a little more detail then opening the propane tank valve, turning the gas valve to on.   That would be a setting on the T-stat.  You'll find you have to press the red valve in to light the pilot light and push the striker button. Because the orifice for the pilot is small its going to take a long time to push the air out of the line, even when the furnace is in good running condition, purging the air out is time consuming. If you get the pilot lit, you'll continue to hold the red knob in till the thermocouple heats up.  Once it does you can depress the button and then turn the knob to on. 

Hopefully you get that far. If the pilot goes out after your sure its had time to thoroughly heat the thermocouple, then you have a problem with the thermocouple or dirty pilot.  You may find you can get that far and the sail switch is holding up the lighting process. Often thats on account of a dirty heat exchanger.  Get the manual and it should have a trouble shooting section.

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

You say you can’t get it going.

What DOES it do?

There’s always a sequence of operations to run HVAC equipment.  Knowing if it does some things or nothing at all is Important.

Looks like fresh marks on the flare from you diconnecting it.  But ya, like Leech said, better have that connected.  Do you get propane to that point?

So, the simple instructions that are in the camper manual just say to turn the thermostat on and off repeatedly until it lights. Obviously that didn't work so I disconnected the main gas supply to make sure it was getting gas to that point and it is. 

A help video I watched on youtube said to push the red knob in and push the igniter switch to force it to light. I assume that when I push the pilot knob in that I should smell gas, but I do not. I also assume that the igniter button should click or something, but it doesn't. 

24 minutes ago, Surface Tension said:

Like said clean it, get the make and model, hook up the propane, and 12 volts.

Once you get the model you can lookup lighting instructions.  Besides having a thermocouple  there is also a sail switch so lighting procedure has a little more detail then opening the propane tank valve, turning the gas valve to on.   That would be a setting on the T-stat.  You'll find you have to press the red valve in to light the pilot light and push the striker button. Because the orifice for the pilot is small its going to take a long time to push the air out of the line, even when the furnace is in good running condition, purging the air out is time consuming. If you get the pilot lit, you'll continue to hold the red knob in till the thermocouple heats up.  Once it does you can depress the button and then turn the knob to on. 

Hopefully you get that far. If the pilot goes out after your sure its had time to thoroughly heat the thermocouple, then you have a problem with the thermocouple or dirty pilot.  You may find you can get that far and the sail switch is holding up the lighting process. Often thats on account of a dirty heat exchanger.  Get the manual and it should have a trouble shooting section.

I'll try holding the pilot knob in longer to see if that helps.

You mention hooking up 12 volts. Is a battery or generator required to get it going? In my driveway I have power going to the camper but it won't have any power where we are taking it. 

Where would I find the make & model? There is no labeling that I can see and I would rather not remove the unit to find out. 

Like ST said. Your going to need power going to it either 12V or 110 if your Converter is still working?.  With the house power on are the lights, frig or other powered items working?  The heater fan usually comes on first to clear built up gas if any happened in the chamber before the igniter will light or you could really have a nice wake up some night!  If the fan is not going on you may not have power going to it or it may be shot?

Edited by leech~~

12 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Like ST said. Your going to need power going to it either 12V or 110.  With the house power on are the lights, frig or other powered items working?  The heater fan usually comes on first to clear built up gas if any happened in the chamber before the igniter will light or you could really have a nice wake up some night!  If the fan is not going on you may not have power going to it or it may be shot?

The lights work inside. 

If power is required for the furnace I think I may just leave it be and get a big buddy heater or something. I won't have power and don't feel like lugging batteries around and making sure they are charged. I for some reason was under the impression that it just needed propane to work. 

Edited by jbell1981

13 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

The lights work inside. 

If power is required for the furnace I think I may just leave it be and get a big buddy heater or something. I won't have power and don't feel like lugging batteries around and making sure they are charged. I for some reason was under the impression that it just needed propane to work. 

Well you do a have few weeks to play with it yet to try and get it going but having a back up heater like a Big buddy is always good anyway when your off grid in the woods for a back up. If your not going to bring up 12V batteries what will you run for lighting inside at night?

Edited by leech~~

So the lights are working but the fan didn't turn on?   You might be missing a step like a switch for the furnace but I think that is on the T-Stat.  Whatever you choose be sure to connect the gas line back up to the furnace.  

Your going to need a battery for the lights but yeah the blower on the furnace is going to drain the battery down.   Either way you choose heat it a CO detector is a must have and you've probably already thought of it.

3 minutes ago, Surface Tension said:

So the lights are working but the fan didn't turn on?   You might be missing a step like a switch for the furnace but I think that is on the T-Stat.  Whatever you choose be sure to connect the gas line back up to the furnace.  

Your going to need a battery for the lights but yeah the blower on the furnace is going to drain the battery down.   Either way you choose heat it a CO detector is a must have and you've probably already thought of it.

Correct, no fan. I don't even see a fan but it must be there somewhere. Didn't have any intention of using the lights, just lanterns & flashlights. I don't even know how or where to hook up a battery. This is my first camper experience. I've always just used tents so this is all new to me. 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:04 AM, jbell1981 said:

Correct, no fan. I don't even see a fan but it must be there somewhere. Didn't have any intention of using the lights, just lanterns & flashlights. I don't even know how or where to hook up a battery. This is my first camper experience. I've always just used tents so this is all new to me. 

There is probably a place to mount a battery on the tongue. Hook one up and use your interior lights. Much nicer and easier.

Does the furnace have a thermostat inside the camper? If so, is it on and the temp turned up above the outside temperature? 

Get air out of the gas lines by lighting your stove burners if you have them for a minute or so. Then attempt to light the furnace.