• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2018 Grouse Report

Anyone been out this past week? My bird hunting has been cut short this year so I am depending on others to keep me up to date. My wife has Breast Cancer and is starting radiation treatments soon, lasting a good part of October. I may be able to do some deer hunting depending how she is feeling. She has had surgery and the outlook is great and she feels great so that's the main thing. Good luck to all you hunters.

2 hours ago, Dusty said:

Anyone been out this past week? My bird hunting has been cut short this year so I am depending on others to keep me up to date. My wife has Breast Cancer and is starting radiation treatments soon, lasting a good part of October. I may be able to do some deer hunting depending how she is feeling. She has had surgery and the outlook is great and she feels great so that's the main thing. Good luck to all you hunters.

friend good luck to you and your wife!!!!   I do know where you are at....  my prayers to ya............

I was bow hunting this weekend and had 3 flush out from under my stand.  One of them came back later on and tried to get me out of the tree.  It dove at me several times.  I had to take my hat off and smack it before it finally decided to give up.  Never had a bird do that and wouldn't have guessed a grouse would have been the culprit. 

When I was in elementary school I went to a little country school and somehow a grouse,in the fall, got inside the building. I think someone may have left the door open for the students and the bird flew in there. It ended up crashing into one of the walls and a teacher took it home probably for dinner 

Has anybody been out as of late?

I brought the boat in Monday to be winterized but the weather‘s been so lousy but I see the sun wants to peek out so maybe after work I’ll take a walk in the woods

The woods look like they thinned out quite a bit since the last time I was out 

its been slow, I had the week off just for grouse, and the weather was horrible. not many flushes, and the birds have been very jumpy. these are seasoned birds, no young and stupid birds. I seen the hunters out for the NGS hunt near grand rapids, and I heard very little shooting. it will be interesting to here there results.

Spent a week grouse hunting around Grand Rapids. Left on Saturday Oct 13 because I tired of running into Ruffed Grouse Society yahoos using Minnesota birds to bring in $$$ so they can buy more white pickups with Ruffed Grouse Society painted on the side driven by PHD's that are clueless as to why there was such a disparity between the 2017 drumming count and the actual number of birds on the ground. Saw or heard a total of 12 grouse and 7 woodcock for the week. My experience was the same as knoppers.   

Now that the weathers had a chance to dry  I’ve headed out when I can after work and I have seen birds.  I can’t say if this is a peak in the cycle or not but it does seem better than last season. 

Has anybody else been seeing a lot of Woodcock this year? I don’t shoot them because I don’t care for the taste but I have been seeing a lot of them

I was up north more than ever this fall but with the bad fall weather and being busy with other things, I never even got a chance to walk the woods. One weekend I brought the gun and orange but it stayed in the truck because of cold, wet weather. My dog is not happy.