Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

jbell1981

Bought Some Hunting Land

Recommended Posts

Less than 2 weeks ago, the place I had been hunting 25 years had fallen apart and I had no clue where my boys and I were going to hunt. Well as of this weekend I am now the owner of 40 acres up near Warroad. The land needs some work, hasn't been used in 15+ years but it was the right price. Heading up this weekend to build a temporary bridge over a drainage ditch and start getting some trails cut. It's thick. I walked it to check it out and it needs lots of brush thinning. Most of the trees are aspen, birch and a few pines scattered around. 2500+ of state forest land across the road too. 

 

Land.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!  Don't forget to bring up some of these! 😉  

 

Also whats the deal with the land usage at the arrows? You need to make sure your neighbors or you know where the lines are, or you may run into issues with each other. 😟

 

Z_qxDymcpEx_.JPG

Land.thumb.PNG.ebfbc4874492ac1aef072d51b07c0b0b.PNG

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Also whats the deal with the land usage at the arrows? You need to make sure your neighbors or you know where the lines are, or you may run into issues with each other. 😟

 

Me and that landowner have talked. I think we have an agreement for that area. Shouldn't be a big deal. Should it become one then I guess I'll have to get it surveyed and find out exactly where the property lines are. I assume the county GIS sites are pretty close though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jbell1981 said:

 

Me and that landowner have talked. I think we have an agreement for that area. Shouldn't be a big deal. Should it become one then I guess I'll have to get it surveyed and find out exactly where the property lines are. I assume the county GIS sites are pretty close though.

 

Dang, I would have never signed an agreement until I clearly knew where the lines where, the seller should have had it surveyed to know what the Heck he was selling people. People have gotten shot over them. 😟  But, that's just me.  Good Luck.

 

 

 

 

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

 

Dang, I would have never signed an agreement until I clearly knew where the lines where, the seller should have had it surveyed to know what the Heck he was selling people. People have gotten shot over them. 😟  But, that's just me.  Good Luck.

 

 

 

 

It'll be fine, don't need to be a debbie downer.  The magenta rectangle is the only part in question. He's just a guy the same age as me with kids the same age as mine who want to hunt and hunt safely. I'll get it surveyed at some point, maybe sooner if he sells. But for now we have talked and are good. 

TEMP.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're doing things the right way in my opinion.  No reason two rational adults with the same goals can't come to a common sense agreement.  If things don't work out with the agreement then you can always get the line survey and then go from there.  

 

Its hard for us to get a sense for how big the issue could even be since we only see the small snapshot of the property and can't see much of the neighbors property or see how he could possibly be using that corner of your property. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MJ1657 said:

No need to show up and shake things up by posting your land unless you run into issues. 

 

11 hours ago, Wanderer said:

 gotta give the good neighbor approach a chance.  Good neighbors are priceless.

 

8 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

You're doing things the right way in my opinion.  No reason two rational adults with the same goals can't come to a common sense agreement.  If things don't work out with the agreement then you can always get the line survey and then go from there.  

 

I agree with all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

Its hard for us to get a sense for how big the issue could even be since we only see the small snapshot of the property and can't see much of the neighbors property or see how he could possibly be using that corner of your property. 

 

He owns a square 40 to the south. He has a stand (facing his field) and plowed field that encroaches my property (per the county GIS site) by 50ft. From old aerial photos, this strip has been plowed since at least 1991. Basically I'm letting him keep his stand and field where it is up to the left side of the magenta box. That strip offers little value to me. Even If I asked him to move it, i'm guessing it would go at the bottom left of the magenta box, rendering that strip still basically useless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a larger map of the area. Mine are the (2) blue outlined 20's. The deal is done at this point and I'm happy but feel free to to say shoulda, woulda, coulda. 😉

temp2.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jbell1981 said:

Here is a larger map of the area. Mine are the (2) blue outlined 20's. The deal is done at this point and I'm happy but feel free to to say shoulda, woulda, coulda. 😉

temp2.PNG

 

Hey jbell1981.

I am really glad for you and I hope you didn't take my word of caution above about making sure where the propriety lines are in the wrong light? I was only thinking of you and your boys having a trouble free experience with your new future hunting land.  You stated that your old spot of 25 years went away which can be very frustrating to find a new place. I know as I have hunter public land all my life and have lost many of good spots to logging and other reasons.  Actually just last winter part of where we hunt now was logged off so we will be out scouting yet again. 😟 

We can't afford buying our own land but if we did we would try to make sure we could always count on where we can have a stand to be in every opener without finding some Trespasser or relative of the neighbor who hunted a spot since no one else used the land the last 15 years. Many of land boundary line disputes happen every year it's just sad to find out there is an issue on Opening morning!  Good luck and have fun with your boys and your new place, wish we could do the same!  😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have probably done the same.  I assume his stand on your land is facing toward his property.  Not much is gained by forcing him to move his stand 50 feet.  It doesn't really gain you any more usable space from the looks of it.  I'd give the agreement a shot for a while and see how it goes.  Just remain friendly with him in case something in your original agreement needs to get changed.  

 

I'd probably still get the property surveyed and posted.  it looks like you've got more neighbors and if you're not local you don't know who else may think they can hunt your land while you're not there.  If the land has been vacant for awhile I would bet you'll find a stand or two or at least evidence others have been there in the past few years. Just tell the neighbor you're letting keep his stand that you're posting but that he's still cool to use the stand that way he doesn't get surprised by the signs early one morning.  Probably also want to work out a gentleman's agreement to help keep an eye on each others land while you're not there. 

Edited by nofishfisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

I'd have probably done the same.  I assume his stand on your land is facing toward his property.  Not much is gained by forcing him to move his stand 50 feet.  It doesn't really gain you any more usable space from the looks of it.  I'd give the agreement a shot for a while and see how it goes.  Just remain friendly with him in case something in your original agreement needs to get changed.  

 

I'd probably still get the property surveyed and posted.  it looks like you've got more neighbors and if you're not local you don't know who else may think they can hunt your land while you're not there.  If the land has been vacant for awhile I would bet you'll find a stand or two or at least evidence others have been there in the past few years. Just tell the neighbor you're letting keep his stand that you're posting but that he's still cool to use the stand that way he doesn't get surprised by the signs early one morning.  Probably also want to work out a gentleman's agreement to help keep an eye on each others land while you're not there. 

 

I will get it surveyed at some point, just not a high priority just yet. I'll just post the side along the road for now and maybe the east side. He lives there year round and told me he has never seen anyone or heard shots on the 30 south of me and the 40 north of me. When I walked the property, I found 3 stands, all 3 belonged to the guy I have been talking to. The one he uses, an old ladder stand he is taking down and an old permanent that is rotted out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a semi-productive weekend despite being cold and rainy most of the time. 

 

Had a good talk with the neighbor. Gave me lots of tips for the area and shot the breeze for a while. Even though I have repeatedly told him he doesn't need to, he is going to move his stand. Also, found out the 2 parcels south of me have also recently sold, so there may be a bunch of newbies in the area. 

 

A border patrol officer stopped by and chatted with us for a while. He seemed like great guy and resource for the area. He has actually hunted the land I bought in the past and his son took a bear out of there last year. 

 

We got a bridge built. Probably just a temporary solution. Our power poles that we brought up were a little short to make it perfect but it will do it's purpose for now.  

 

Seen 6 deer (or maybe the same group of 3, twice). Even found some bear droppings. 

 

Didn't get much for trails in due to the wet weather but plan to head up again next weekend. 

42440951_2266663056681246_4754080861647798272_n.jpg

 

This is looking down the clearing to the east, my property. 

42551345_2266506123363606_4699342349568835584_o.jpg

 

Looking to the south. Property line is at the posted sign. Was sitting in this old stand for a while watching deer browse the clearing. 

42387518_2266506056696946_259005782287187968_o.jpg

42319714_2266505973363621_6252502789813960704_n.jpg

Edited by jbell1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Like he said. After opening weekend there may be few fish left.  Here's a little view why! 😉        
    • Welcome to the forums.   There is another company here in Minnesota that gets used a lot called Mattracks that you may want to look up. What size motor do you have? It takes a pretty good size motor to turn these tracks and get any speed out of them.   https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjohMjdlYbjAhWPGM0KHSFVAFoQFjAAegQIBxAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mattracks.co%2F&usg=AOvVaw0l1s0-KJl2XMVmGU069TQt  
    • Upsize to #2 mepps. They cast much farther than the smaller sizes. With that being said, most (if not all) the trout have probably been caught out of the lake. If there is any trout left to be caught, I’d make sure to be there early in the morning as soon as the park opens.
    • So I am new to ATV’s and was doing some research on tracks for ATVs. I live in North Idaho and for winter and spring we have tons of snow and mud to deal with so was thinking tracks might be a good idea. So I found this site helpful https://www.atvtracks.net/track-systems and  local for me but wanted to get others opinions on what they use? I noticed they have two brands one Camso and one Kimpex what do y’all prefer?
    • Yep, it was good again.
    • Do they all have the same issues?  If they do, then probably not the roku, although rebooting them by unplugging the power for a minute or so might be worth a try, if you haven't already done so. 
    • I do not have a Chromecast.  I will try the Comcast fix first then work my way to the hardware.  I have two roku streaming stick + and one roku streaming stick.
    • I have my Garmin Astro 360 that works well enough along with dog tracking.   I have used my smart phone on a large loop walk through private and tax forfeited land.   The accuracy was pretty darn good.   Superimpose over satellite imagery on a generic mapping program and you can see right where you are and set course around areas you want to avoid.   Battery drain is pretty strong.   I also prefer to keep my eyes up and gain sight knowledge of an area so that future use of electronics becomes a back up and not a crutch.
    • Is fishing Cenaiko worth doing in late June and July? I’ve never really trout fished before and I want to give it a try. If it’s worth fishing, how would you fish the lake? I have an ultralight setup with #1 and #0 Mepps spinners but I have a feeling that wouldn’t work well trying to pull Trout out of a lake. Any tips? 
    • This evening I will reset the live trap.   So far my peanut dough blocks from Menards have only been lasting a day or two, thanks to midnight ramblers....   Score so far is two racoons and a possum.   I wonder what morning will bring... if it stops raining.   
×
×
  • Create New...