• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings-green Bay Game

leech~~

Not really sure you can say it was just our new quarterback? 3 missed field goals didn't help!  ?

Green Bay Aaron Rodgers threw for 281 yards and a score.

Minnesota's Kirk Cousins threw for 425 yards and four touchdowns. 

This was written 3 weeks ago. 

Daniel Carlson is the kicker the Minnesota Vikings deserve

by Realistic Randy 3 weeks ago

The Minnesota Vikings have made some interesting decisions when it comes to kickers over the years. Will Daniel Carlson be the next to break fans’ hearts?

Week 3 of the preseason is typically the most important week to gain the most information on your team heading into the regular season. The number one priority for the Minnesota Vikings in the offseason was the offensive line, but that was not good enough to warrant consideration.

No, you see, that would’ve been too simple. Having nothing but question marks regarding depth in the offensive line while losing a significant piece from your starting lineup in Joe Berger was easy street.

Instead, it was determined by general manager Rick Spielman that what warranted significant attention and evaluation was the kicker position.

Who cares that Kai Forbath has been head and shoulders better than his predecessor/thief who posed as an NFL kicker in Blair Walsh.

The Vikings cut the automatic Ryan Longwell in favor of the “potential” for Walsh in the sixth round of the 2012 draft. Walsh certainly turned out to be a Vikings legend as we anxiously await his induction into the team’s ring of honor.

Fast forward to now where Minnesota decided to let go of Forbath in favor of the “big leg” Daniel Carlson by trading up in this year’s draft to select him in the fifth round.

Forbath, while not perfect (especially in the extra points department), had proven to be quite reliable particularly late in games. Bottom line, Forbath never cost the Vikings a game.

The 49-yard field goal to put the Vikings up by six early in the fourth quarter in the divisional round against the Saints wasn’t enough. The 53-yard field goal to retake the lead with 1:29 left in regulation putting Minnesota up 23-21 certainly wasn’t worth raising hell about.

Where’s the fun in that? We needed more.

In comes Daniel Carlson with a similar up and down pattern of collegiate productionincluding a bad senior year at Auburn compared to the aforementioned Walsh at Georgia. But hey they both had big legs coming into the draft much like JaMarcus Russel had a big arm!

Now with Forbath being cut from the roster, Carlson got to show his stuff in his first game as the official starting kicker for the Minnesota Vikings on Friday.

He tallied up two missed field goals, both from 42 yards. Although let’s make sure we give credit where credit is due, Carlson did make an extra point kick. Bravo for that.

That’s one heck of a start, but for some reason Minneosta head Coach Mike Zimmer didn’t seem thrilled with Carlson’s performance.

When asked if he was concerned with Carlson’s two missed field goal attempts Zimmer responded, “Yes, yes. Definitely.”

Well, that’s not very nice. Zimmer also spoke on why he decided to go for a two-point conversion instead of an extra point after a touchdown scored by a one-yard run by Latavius Murray.

“Just let (Carlson) know if he’s going to miss them, I’m going to go for two,” Zimmer said after Friday’s game.

Kicking woes already in the preseason? Let’s get the grade school kids ready to draw a motivational picture for our kicker again, shall we?

And while there may be criticism regarding Zimmer’s comments in how it may affect Carlson’s psyche, allow me to lead the brigade. We must coddle the young man with the routine pat on the back as we did so many times for the previous SEC kicker we drafted.

It’s also important to know that even if he misses his kicks, Carlson can bring something that doesn’t show on the box scores; leadership and integrity. If that doesn’t warrant trading up in the fifth round, I don’t know what will.

Although I must say, there’s something about stressing out while watching your kicker walk out on the field that’s been sorely missed. That old feeling returned as Carlson lined up for the extra point attempt following the Kyle Sloter touchdown pass to Jake Wieneke in the fourth quarter.

Once the kick went through we could all sigh in relief, together, as a family. And isn’t that what it’s all about? Forget Super Bowls, what’s most important is the need of unnecessary drama.

Why rely on a kicker who’s demonstrated the mental fortitude to make tough kicks when needed in the playoffs when we can put all that pressure on a rookie coming off a bad senior season?

After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Oh, that’s right.

He's gone.

You better have the right frame of mind for that position.

And he didn't.

Entertaining as heck game.

Wife lost it and went outside to do yard work in the 4th quarter.

Of course she didn't believe me when I poked my head out and asked if she wanted to come back in and watch overtime.

"Whatever, no way"

"Are you serious?"

"Actually, there's still 30 seconds left in regulation and we can still lose it, but it is tied right now."

:)

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

huh.jpg

Oh God, I feel like I'm in that other thread! Kicker Dave. 

otterman91105 and I were talking past,  present and hopefully future Kickers for the Minnesota Vikings Football team!!

Got it? ? ?

6CJ5PT6GAE7VJN6545Z2NLJ4EY.jpg

3 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Oh God, I feel like I'm in that other thread! Kicker Dave. 

otterman91105 and I were talking past,  present and hopefully future Kickers for the Minnesota Vikings Football team!!

Got it? ? ?

Still makes no sense but carry on.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

BTW

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

I wasn't Dave.  I really was hoping he would help you understand.  The Minnesota Vikings need a new field goal kicker Now!   Can I get a Amen!  ?

1 minute ago, leech~~ said:

I wasn't Dave.  I really was hoping he would help you understand.  The Minnesota Vikings need a new field goal kicker Now!   Can I get a Amen!  ?

Your prayers have been answered.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24713649/minnesota-vikings-release-kicker-daniel-carlson-add-free-agent-dan-bailey