• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommend Outboard Motor Repair Person Or Shop?

jgrimmz

Hello all,

I have a 70's Johnson 4.5hp outboard motor that is in need of repair and wondering if anyone knows a reputable shop or person I can bring it to?

I was out a couple years ago and the motor putted out on me. Not thinking anything of it, I started it again and this time it dies pretty hard and wouldn't turn over after. It was also significantly harder to pull start. I think it may have locked up due to water in the gas tank, but I'm not sure. The motor has sat in my garage ever since, so at this point, I think it will need a thorough tune up and to be gone through and ensure no internal rust or damage. 

I'm hoping to bring it in ASAP as I would like to use it for duck season. I know, way behind the eight ball lol 

Thanks!

Also, I should note I'm in the metro and am willing to drive about an hour and a half. Depending on the area, further locations can be accommodated. 

I haven't used him but I've read good reports about a outboard mechanic in Mound MN.  His name is Kirby and he has decades of experience in outboard repair.  I believe he only works on outboards under 25hp, so you're good there.  Give him a call at 952-270-7610. 

Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, bobbymalone said:

They were the first people that told me my outboard was too old to work on.

Odd, may be it was just your attitude they didn't like?  ?

From their web page:

We have over 12,000 engines for parts starting at 1906! Below is a list of common replacement parts for common antique engines. This is IN NO WAY a complete list, Please contact us with any inquiries

Scroll Down to see common parts prices. If it is on this list we stock it, or can get it.

Also at the bottom of the page we will have a list of older motors that are for sale. If you are looking for a certain motor, even for display only, contact us and we will try to get one. These old display motors make a GREAT GIFT for the sportsman or woman. What was their favorite old motor? We can probably get you one for display at the cabin, or the den!

Johnson/Evinrude common parts:

2.5 and 5 hp Johnsons 1939-1951~:

2 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Odd, may be it was just your attitude they didn't like?  ?

The phone call went like this.

TCO:  Twin City Outboards

Me:  Hi, I have an 82 Evinrude 75 horse that needs.....

TCO:  We don't work on those.

Me:  Alrighty then.

They did sell me a shop manual though...

1 minute ago, bobbymalone said:

The phone call went like this.

TCO:  Twin City Outboards

Me:  Hi, I have an 82 Evinrude 75 horse that needs.....

TCO:  We don't work on those.

Me:  Alrighty then.

They did sell me a shop manual though...

Well the OP has a Johnson 4.5hp motor and they say they have a lot of parts for old 2.5 and 5 hp Johnsons motors.  So smaller may be their thing?

Thanks for the replies! 

I too have been running into the issue where shops refuse the business because it's "too old." I think the real excuse is they can't make enough money off the work. It's beyond my mechanical abilities unfortunately. 

Actually, I just found a good deal on a newer and larger motor that would better suit my needs and am picking it up tomorrow. I'll be keeping the 4.5 horse so I'll follow up if I am successful with one of the suggested shops.