• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Tip Insert Your Thoughts?

AlwaysFishing23

Hey guys, new to bass fishing but I’m addicted now of course. So was out the other day ended up with a few dandy’s and lost a 3-4 lber. Anyway on the last cast my baitcast rod the guide insert on the tip guide popped out. I tried sanding the guide down and it seems smooth. Rod is a cheap one and out of warranty. So would I be ok to use it as is? Or I was thinking of just getting a rod tip repair kit and replacing that guide? What’s your thoughts? Thanks! 

Def replace.  You're not going to get it anywhere close to as smooth as that ceramic insert.

Also not sure what sort of line you're using but I can show you a guide that was manufactured with no insert that is slowly being cut in two from braid running through it.

Thanks for the reassurance fellas. The company was no use on what to do. For the $5-10 to replace it I’ll just do that. Any special kit you guys prefer? Was just going to see what fleet farm has. I’m currently using 30lb spider wire but will be changing that out with 30lb suffix or power pro soon.

For what you're doing, I would just buy the fuji tip replacement kit and go for it.  It's like 5 bucks.   

Hopefully a few seconds with a cigarette lighter will soften up the adhesive enough you can just pop the top guide off.   I'm not sure if they epoxy that on or what.  I build my own rods and that top guide is stuck on there with what's basically hot glue.  Little heat and it will come right off.

Yep, not need to cut it.  Sometimes enough residual glue can be recovered to hold the new tip without adding anything more.  The thread wrap on the tip is usually just for finish appearance.  Does nothing to hold the tip on.

The last tip I put on a rod I used gorilla glue and it seems to be holding well.

Edited by Wanderer

Yeah, if you need to lose a guide insert, there is no better guide than the tip top.   

I'd be a little worried about the quality of the guides if the top failed, but time well tell.  If you lose the insert on a middle guide, it's probably time to reinvest in better equipment.  Replacing a middle guide is not fun and questionably worth it.

The fuji rod tip replacement kit comes with a stick of the hot glue.  What I have found in building my own rods, use a razor blade to cut a little strip of the glue out.  Stick that strip in the tip top.  Hold a lighter close to heat it up.  Jam it on the end of the rod.  Trim off the residual that squeezes out.  If it isn't seated straight, heat it up a little and center it.   Easy-peasy.

Edited by bobbymalone