• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flying W/ Vexilar-flasher Battery

RobG

Going to be flying a few places this ice season and was wondering if anyone has traveled by air with their battery or batteries for their flasher unit...9Amp 12 Volt.

Are there any issues with this?  Have you run into any problems - things to be concerned about?

Thanks

Rob

Great question but best to be answered by the airline you are traveling with.  I can't imagine there to be too great of an issue when you can bring other devises that require a battery pack to use but best to get approval for such an item before you get turned away at the airport. 

Just got an answer from the Dangerous Goods Manager at Delta. 
Because the batteries are 9 Amp, 12 Volt they exceed the allowable watt hours permitted in passenger carry-on or checked baggage. The battery voltage must not exceed 12 volts and the battery watt hour rating must not exceed 100 watt hours. 
By multiplying the Volts and Amps it comes to 108 watt hours. 

However - If I use the 7 Amp 12 Volt batteries that would work. And I would be allowed to take one battery in the unit plus one back-up in checked bags. 

But since there are 4 of us with 4 units we would each have to pack an extra bag just for the units. Renting the units vs. taking our own looks like it will be about even when you consider extra bag fees. Looks like we will rent instead of dealing with the hassle. Just easier. 

Just thought I'd pass on the info in case its helpful to anyone else.

THANKS!

I do have and take with me two different small cameras.  Although every time I have used it on Upper Red the clarity of the water is poor and vision is poor.  Either way - I still take them.

I did figure out what I am going to do about the batteries.  I have a Pelican case that will hold a few flashers and batteries.  I am going to ship it to the lodge and they said they will hold it until I get there.  The cost of shipping the units and batteries actually turns out to be less expensive than paying for the oversized/weight bag on a plane so it made sense.  I have a FedEx account with a discounted rate through my job.  Once we are done I'll have FedEx pick up the Pelican and ship it home.

Problem solved, I hope....if it all works out.

Still a bit of a pain in the rear-end but seems to be the best option.

Thanks for the input and suggestions - much appreciated.

Rob