• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Humming Birds

chaffmj

57 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Mrs. Duff would like to thank you gentlemen,  we are somewhat newbies in the hummingbird feeding world.

They stopped coming a couple weeks ago.

I showed her this thread and within hours of the advice here, we had hummingbirds back.

To boil or not to boil, that's da question.?

23 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

I do use spring water and not the tap.  Burnsville tap water smells like the swimming pool.  I rarely use it for anything other than washing stuff.

Great advice, we'll do the same.  I also told her not to fill it too much..? 

20 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Now I have go buy sugar ? I use raw honey to sweeten everything at home, so sugar has rarely ever been on our shopping list.

Huh.  yeahg I have  seen definitely not to use honey.   

20 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Switched to sugar water today, and it was a success! Saw a hummingbird buzzing around my pine tree, then landed on a branch (never seen a hummingbird NOT flying before), then buzzed over and helped himself to a drink ?

I've seen alot of hummingbirds in trees, unless it's early spring with no leaves or you litterly follow the hummingbird pretty tough to spot them little buggers!!!!

9 hours ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Is the sugar water slower to ferment, than nectar? Or does it ferment at all? I’ve had it out for a week, and they’re still loving it! Just wondering if I should be refreshing it at all.

All's I use is sugar water and I haven't had it go bad unless it is really hot out. Here are a couple of pics from last week.

This one just buried it's head in to it.

DSC03278_2.thumb.jpg.2dab61bd377f27c0a0e35bee8f38455e.jpg

Here is one with it's tongue hanging out.

733955796_DSC03269_2(2).jpg.5b4d7f09c2bbb3c58926aea13e0bbba9.jpg

Edited by chaffmj
spelling error

Nice feeder. I keep buying the cheapies, seems they leak more nectar then the birds eat. Has anybody tried those long tube style horizontal ones that you buy on hsolist or the net?