• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Humming Birds

chaffmj

It has been a lot of fun watching the hummers this year after we got home from up north.   There are several who come constantly to the feeder and then joust over who gets to eat.  I put up two feeders (don't tell them, but one is actually an oriole feeder) but they still chase each other.   

I had put up a feeder a couple months ago, and it only took the hummingbirds a couple minutes to discover it. But the feeder was faulty, and the hummingbirds couldn’t get the nectar out of it. I’ve since replaced the feeder, but the hummingbirds have never returned. How do I attract them back?

42 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Just leave it up, but you need to keep the juice fresh. Think there nesting yet but there are some around. This fall when they start heading south they'll find it again.

keep the juice fresh especially on the hot days.  When it ferments they will hesitate to come back. 

Nectar is basically a scam.   I have switched to water and sugar, 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 by volume.   1/3 cup sugar per cup of water.   Add a few drops of red food color if you want, it doesn't seem to make much difference to the hummers up here in the nort country.  

45 minutes ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Thanks! That all makes sense. Just refreshed it, so we’ll see what happens. Do I have to refrigerate the bottle of nectar after I open bottle?

make your own and do refrigerate it!!!  and you do have boil it too too dissolve the sugar according to my late wife...   goos luck!!!!

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Nectar is basically a scam.    

It's totally a scam.  

I have never boiled it.  Just like making koolaid, it will dissolve easier in warm water.  I haven't had a problem with room temp as long as you're willing to stir it for a bit.  No disrespect to anyone's late wife.

I make about a quart at a time and I don't put a lot in the feeder at once.  Store the rest in the fridge.  Those feeders are big and it will go bad years before they can get through it. 

Edited by bobbymalone

10 hours ago, Juneau4 said:

1-4 sugar ratio  in warm water NO Food coloring, it can be toxic to them. 1-3 ratio can also cause problems.

Where did you hear/see that 1 to 3 can cause problems?    

5 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Where did you hear/see that 1 to 3 can cause problems?    

I imagine right where all recipes say use 1-4 ratio and that if chlorinated water is used you should boil the water first.

I use the 4 to 1 during the summer when they've been here a while. I go back to the 3 to 1 when they first arrive and when they start to head south.

Cold spring water is chlorinated and I never boil it and I have hummingbirds all the time. I use the same water up at the cabin and I've seen as many as 10 at the feeders all at once.

Guess whatever floats ones boat. Been doing this for lotta years now so....

Ok, I use 1 3/4 cup of water to 1/2 cup of sugar a 7 to 2 ratio. I have a well so my water is not chlorinated. I use hot tap water or put cold water in the microwave to warm that up and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I was out the other day trying to adjust the feeder and a hummingbird came right in and started to feed while I was holding it. Must have been really hungry!