• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Floor Resurface

bobbymalone

Just bought a new house and the garage floor is a bit pitted.  I was planning on resurfacing it as a DIY job since right now will be the last time in the next 20 years the garage is empty.

There are a few spots where the pitting is pretty deep and the previous owner plugged them up with some sort of rubbery filler that has the consistency of industrial bubble gum.  Any ideas on how to get that stuff out of there?  I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, hoping it would pop out a like plug, but not so much.  Also thought I might be able to blast it with a power washer but I haven't tried that yet.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I can't even think of the proper search terms to ask google about this.

Hard to say what it is. It could be silicon as suggested by Kidd but I would think that silicon would pop out much like you were expecting. It could be some sort of epoxy patch or other type of caulking. Is it loose? why do you want to remove the patch if it is sticking so good?

Bobby, are you still in the Burnsville area or other south metro suburb? Are you talking about re-surfacing with a layer of cement or are you just talking about painting it with epoxy? If you need a floor scrubber machine at all for your prep work, I have one I'd be happy to borrow to you.....

I want it out because I am going to repatch it with concrete and then cover the whole garage floor with a cement based resurfacer to get rid of the shallow pitting that's all over where cars park.  Then it's epoxy paint.  

I think it's silicone based.  It's tough as heck but it's not hard like I would expect epoxy to be.  It has some level of bounce to it.  Not much.

The floor is really clean and just a tiny oil spot.  I'll let you know if I need a scubber.  Thanks for the offer.

9 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Also thought I might be able to blast it with a power washer but I haven't tried that yet.  

I don't know if your pressure washer has changeable tips?  They are to find but I found a 0 degree blast tip for mine and that thing will chew up some stuff. 

Pressure-Washer-Spray-Nozzle-Tips-Chart.jpg

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I don't know if your pressure washer has changeable tips?  They are to find but I found a 0 degree blast tip for mine and that thing will chew up some stuff. 

Pressure-Washer-Spray-Nozzle-Tips-Chart.jpg

I feel like if the power washer works, it's going to be the easiest and most fun way of removing that stuff.  

$7 on Amazon.  

Just now, bobbymalone said:

I feel like if the power washer works, it's going to be the easiest and most fun way of removing that stuff.  

$7 on Amazon.  

I did see Menard's had the 0 Degree when I was in there last night.  Not sure what kind of tip connection you may have though?  A last resort if you have a Dremel tool is to try and auger it out with one of their metal tips?  But that may be a long-many Beer day! ?

Dremel%20Rotary%20Tool%20Bit%20114%20(EN)%20r19738v15.jpg

I had a contractor do my garage floor.  Here is the work order and quoted amount.  

Work To Be Done:
*Epoxy concrete garage floor. (784sq.ft.)
-­‐Shot blast surface of floor.  (Work  Shop area) -­‐Light acid wash over existing floor, let dry over night.
-­‐Apply primer coat of commercial grade epoxy. (4mil 650 Armor seal)
-­‐Apply flakes to primer coat, 100% coverage. (4mil)
-­‐Shop Vac. Up flakes that didn’t adhere to the floor. (Colors will be gray and red in color)
-­‐Apply coat of clear commercial grade epoxy.  (4mil)
-­‐Final coat of Armor seal 650-­‐sealer coat. (2mil)
-­‐Cure time-­‐ 24 hours for foot traffic and 72 hours for vehicle traffic before use.
Total Cost: $3,400

DSC00900.thumb.JPG.878b45b789a3e105fb0aede587b7658f.JPGIMG_3126.thumb.JPG.f58569bcc565cc9afea823ae8a5de59b.JPG

On 8/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, leech~~ said:

Just update.  Back from canada, fishing was so-so by northwestern Ontario standards and the power washer with a zero degree tip ate that stuff right up.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Bobby, can you update your project?  I have a badly pitted garage floor and have been looking at doing it myself.

What kind of product did you use?  Was it easy or difficult?  How much time did it take to finish the floor?  Are you pleased with the results?

Thanks, Bobby.

On 9/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, Fishwidow1 said:

Bobby, can you update your project?  I have a badly pitted garage floor and have been looking at doing it myself.

What kind of product did you use?  Was it easy or difficult?  How much time did it take to finish the floor?  Are you pleased with the results?

Thanks, Bobby.

Bobby, I know this is over a year old, but I never saw a response.  I still have not done anything with my garage floor.  Can you tell me how about your experience on this?

Thanks.

Sorry man, I must have missed it.

Long story short, I used some sort of quikcrete garage floor resurfacer to fill in the chunked out parts and smooth over the pitting.  Then I painted it with this rocksolid polycuramine stuff.  The whole process was kind of a pain, it definitely doesn't look 100% perfect but it did the job and it only cost me a few hundred.  Holding up so far.

Thanks. Too late this year, but I need to do something before next winter.  It's a garage above another garage, and I don't want to find our cars sitting in the lower level. For now I'[m using mats on the floor, but that's not a perfect solution.