• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Sod

Fairchild_82

hey guys. Wife and I moved into our new home the other month, and our lawn was looking great. We went out of town for a few days in July and came back to our grass almost all completely brown. I've been water it every evening for roughly 3-4hrs/night. The grass is slowly starting to come back, but not to what it was. And I don't believe it ever will. Our entire yard in SAND and little dirt, we were not able to put down black dirt before due to timing. My question is this: When can I put down weed n feed? or what kind of fertilizer do i need/able to use? or do I not treat my lawn with any chemical this season? 

some people swear by this milorganite fertilizer, doesnt burn. i used it in my garden and i like it. its less spendy and apparently some golf courses use it.

just a thought, if your watering 3-4 hours each nite, that may be to much????????????????????????

... and be cutting it on the highest cut setting of your mower for the remainder of Aug and only cut before a for-sure rain.  This makes the grass more drought resistant and helps crowd out the weeds. 

In Sept to Oct, begin lowering the mower gradually as temps and rain dictate.  By the end of Oct to early Nov, you should be cutting at the lowest cut setting of your mower.   This helps with improving resistance to snow mold and voles, and ensures an early green up appearance in the spring.  

5 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

I would say the same thing as big dave. I would wait till it cools down some and then put down some fertilizer. Its hard to keep things looking good through the hot days of summer unless you are watering all the time or you have irrrgation.

Um that was Leech~~ ?

On 8/13/2018 at 4:41 PM, leech~~ said:

You may want to wait a bit longer for it to cool down more.  Dry and hot with fertilizer on it may just burn it up the rest of the way.  This is been one bad year for lawns let alone new sod. ?

Edited by leech~~