• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow death rigs

I’ve been reading more and more about these but I don’t know anyone in my circle of fishing colleagues that uses them.  i’m thinking of adding them  to my walleye fishing arsenal but what can people tell me about them.   Do they have to be trolled behind a bottom bouncer? How fast you go with them?  Can you use them in any water type? For example, could I use them in dirty water or are they just a clear water fishing technique?

I use them a lot and even make some of my own. You just have to experiment with what works best for you but I typically run them with a bottom bouncer. Lots of new blades and propeller looking spinners to work with now days. I like using the bottom bouncer to avoid snags and hold the rod in my hands and I can feel what kind of bottom its going over. 

Some days I have better luck with one hook and a half crawler, other days its 2 hooks and a full crawler or leeches. I just keep many rigs ready and simply detach and hook up another to the swivel on the bottom bouncer. Some days its just the color of the spinner that makes the world of difference. Your speed will vary also somedays they are more aggressive or others you need to go slower.

I like to make my own with a bent shank hook and a spinner blade and beads. It most stores you will typically only find a slow death rig with no blades and just the bent hook or a prop spinner. If you buy your own hooks, blades and beads and tie them yourself its much cheaper.

My go to is a slow death hook with a gold blade. Or a slow death with no blade and just your preferred color of beads works well also. We dont have alot of clear water here in SD so my experience may differ than others.

We used to use them with great success for years but it seems lately that drop shotting is the way to go. 

1 minute ago, tacklejunkie said:

How do you determine when to use blades or just a plain hook? Or is it just a preference thing?

Use one of those blade holders that let you switch blades out because color trends change all the time and it let's you easily switch until you find what works. 

Speed is also something that you need to experiment with. 

32 minutes ago, tacklejunkie said:

How do you determine when to use blades or just a plain hook? Or is it just a preference thing?

when you start seeing fish on the graph and they are not biting time to switch it up until you get some bites. Good thing about SD and being able to fish 2 lines and a couple guys in the boat. It doesn't take long to figure out what they are hungry for.