• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked eggs

Ok I smoked some eggs the other and made deviled eggs with some of them.. darn good eats for sure!!!  

here's the question, someone asked did I cut them in half before smoking them and no I did not I said.  that got me wondering if any one here has cut them first before smoking them???

might have to try a few that next time just to see....   

Just now, Mike89 said:

Ok I smoked some eggs the other and made deviled eggs with some of them.. darn good eats for sure!!!  

here's the question, someone asked did I cut them in half before smoking them and no I did not I said.  that got me wondering if any one here has cut them first before smoking them???

might have to try a few that next time just to see....   

Never even occurred to me....now I am wondering.  

Ive made them before and they are good. Just dont like that the white part gets kinda rubbery smoke colored. My next go round which will probably be this weekend for my daughters 1st b-day party Im gonna just smoke the yolks for the filling. Hopefully can get some good smoke flavor without people being gun shy because of the off color.

2 hours ago, snagfinder said:

Ive made them before and they are good. Just dont like that the white part gets kinda rubbery smoke colored. My next go round which will probably be this weekend for my daughters 1st b-day party Im gonna just smoke the yolks for the filling. Hopefully can get some good smoke flavor without people being gun shy because of the off color.

I agree with ya till they taste them generally.  I like your idea too!!  we keep playing with this we will get them awesome!! 

17 hours ago, snagfinder said:

I cold smoke mine with the tube, after an hour they will start to turn a light tan color and I'll yank em. No gold color or rubbery from the heat.

yes that would be sweet!!  but I can't cold smoke..  not set up for it.. the lowest setting I have on the new pellet smoker is 150 so that is where I'm at for the eggs when smoking them...

23 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

yes that would be sweet!!  but I can't cold smoke..  not set up for it.. the lowest setting I have on the new pellet smoker is 150 so that is where I'm at for the eggs when smoking them...

If you have a charcoal grill, fleet farm sells those tubes and pellets!!

1 hour ago, pikestabber said:

Personally, I like the little bit tougher texture when they are hot smoked. I've cold smoked, too, and the whites stay tender, but for whatever reason I like 'em a bit chewy.

I like them that way too but people seem weirded out when there egg whites look kinda orangish

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I have a weber charcoal grill, would that work??

yep!!!!!its what I use. I find the kettles keep the smoke inside better. you do need to open the vents a bit. its how I smoke my cheese!!!!!

1 hour ago, smurfy said:

yep!!!!!its what I use. I find the kettles keep the smoke inside better. you do need to open the vents a bit. its how I smoke my cheese!!!!!

thanks I will have too look into that...  let me know what to look for in the contraption!!  going to FF thursday...

smurf you are all right!!!!!!:)

thanks all else too!!!

3 hours ago, Mike89 said:

thanks I will have too look into that...  let me know what to look for in the contraption!!  going to FF thursday...

smurf you are all right!!!!!!:)

thanks all else too!!!

its in there grilling section. the one in waite park anyway. its in an almost ll black box I believe. you have 2 choices the 6 inch or 12 inch. I believe its called the smokin tube . you'll recognize it when you see it. I have the 6 inch, fill it with apple pellets, light it and let'er buck, for the cheese anyway. usually about 3 hours.

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I have a weber charcoal grill, would that work??

You could do it on the pellet grill too, or a cardboard box for that matter.

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/a-maze-n-pellet-tube-smoker/0000000209147?Ntt=smoke tube

There is a tray also that will smoke for 11 to 12 hours there also. Fill it half full and you will have what a tube will offer for smoke time. I use a full tray for cold smoking peppers and bacon. Of course you don't need to that long a smoke for eggs but you have choices.

They get such good flavor not sure why you would want to cut in half.  Would need 2 trays when I do a dozen also.  Just upgraded to a bradley last week and did eggs in it. Worked nice just running the smoker and unplugging the main chamber. It still got up to 120 after an hour. They were still a bit rubbery but I actually prefer that as have all that enjoy them. Egss were not as amber as they were with the masterbuilt but the flavor was a bit smokier. Took them off after an hour. The masterbuilt I would set at 150 and always put eggs and wood in and turned smoker on. Started everything cold with vent closed. On the bradley I need to warm the smoker box up 20 minutes, then put the eggs in the chamber and advance the wood briquettes. works nice. :) LOve them in salads, deviled and whole. :)

4 minutes ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Forgot to mention, I always close the vent for eggs. 

Geez, I would think you would want the vent and may be the window open after eating those?  ?