• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canning time

Nice Smurfy! My cukes have a way to go. Our spring was a lot later down here this year. Do you use jalapenos? Do you put a clove or two of garlic in the jar too?

the peppers are a thia chili pepper, and yes i put 4-5 pieces of garlic in each jar along with sliced onions!!!!!!!!! i used to put 6 peppers in but in my older age that got to be to much so i cut it back to 4. i would think Jalepenos would work though!!!!! 

4 minutes ago, otterman91105 said:

Nothing better then homemade pickles. We did 84 quarts last year but the kids didn't eat all of them so we are going to skip a year.

i still have some from 2016, most from last year yet but i like to stay ahead. how do they say it........i like to let them MELD!!!!!!!!!?:grin: that was a 1/2 bushel, smaller batches makes it not so over whelming. especially on a work nite. 

4 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

My wife loves pickled green beans i dont suppose you want to share your recipe? 

sure. the brine consists of 2 qts water, 2 cups vinegar and 1/2 cup pickling salt. 

add dill, garlic and onion to the jars. then add the brine and let sit for a few weeks to a month. 

3 hours ago, snagfinder said:

No offense but them lids and rings be looking a little scary.

they don't get sealed so I reuse them. they sit in the frig. as far as the rims, as long as they don't fold up when you squeeze them a bit there still good to reuse...…..to each there own. been doing it for 30 years with no issue!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, smurfy said:

sure. the brine consists of 2 qts water, 2 cups vinegar and 1/2 cup pickling salt. 

add dill, garlic and onion to the jars. then add the brine and let sit for a few weeks to a month. 

they don't get sealed so I reuse them. they sit in the frig. as far as the rims, as long as they don't fold up when you squeeze them a bit there still good to reuse...…..to each there own. been doing it for 30 years with no issue!!!!!!

And look what it has done to you!

Well the 13 pints of salsa is put away. Today it was 14 qts of stewed tomatoes, 7 pints tomato juice. Also did a double batch of summer cukes and a different cuke recipe. If that wasn't enough I mowed the lawn also. I'm [PoorWordUsage]ed!

IMG_20180812_191148424.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, smurfy said:

Figured as long as I'm filling jars, I'd fill a few more. Made 2 more 2 gallon jugs of pickled cukes, 4 qts saurkraut, and 2 batches of frig pickles.

IMG_20180805_210616667.jpg

Looks like fish to Me? Not a veggie in sight.?:rolleyes:

I'm not particular though --I'd still eat em .

The Rings--I've used worse-- ?

Edited by Juneau4