• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clean meat

9 hours ago, rundrave said:

Is it still safe to boil meat in a bag if your meat is grown in a petri dish?

As long as it can be smoked in an over-priced grill, I'm OK with it.......?

I read that around the time it originally published. Seems odd and unappetizing, but at the same time would be better for the environment.

I also recently read a story about plant-based hamburgers being a hot ticket item at Costco. Basically the same as any other veggie burger, but supposed to be much more similar to a hamburger patty in terms of appearance, texture, etc.  They had samples at Costco the last time I was there. Still just a gross veggie burger - and the picture on the packaging looks much more like hamburger patty than the real thing. 

11 hours ago, Getanet said:

I read that around the time it originally published. Seems odd and unappetizing, but at the same time would be better for the environment.

I also recently read a story about plant-based hamburgers being a hot ticket item at Costco. Basically the same as any other veggie burger, but supposed to be much more similar to a hamburger patty in terms of appearance, texture, etc.  They had samples at Costco the last time I was there. Still just a gross veggie burger - and the picture on the packaging looks much more like hamburger patty than the real thing. 

I'll have a veggie burger every once and a while just to mix it up, but I'm not trying to convince myself it's a real burger... It's a veggie burger.

I'm much more comfortable with veggie options that are just that... veggie options.  When they try to recreate a meat product then it gets gross real fast (see tofurkey, vegan bacon, etc)

2 hours ago, Cooperman said:

If it means we don’t have to eat insects as our main source of protein, I’m in.

If it comes between lab grown meat product or grasshoppers, gimme the grasshoppers.

I'm sure grasshoppers can be smoked on an overpriced pellet grill. 

2 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

If it comes between lab grown meat product or grasshoppers, gimme the grasshoppers.

I'm sure grasshoppers can be smoked on an overpriced pellet grill. 

Meh, I'm sure if you would have told someone 100 years ago that they would be eating pressed together chicken nuggets or fish fillets or any of the other processed foods we are eating tons of today, they probably would have said the same thing.....

Edited by Big Dave2

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Meh, I'm sure if you would have told someone 100 years ago that they would be eating pressed together chicken nuggets or fish fillets or any of the other processed foods we are eating tons of today, they probably would have said the same thing.....

Hell, if you told someone 20-25 years ago that millions of people every day would pay $2-3 for a bottled water instead of getting a drink from a public fountain they would have told you you were losing your mind. 

7 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Paying for convenience.   Bottled water at Costco is $2.99 for a case of 40 half litre bottles.   Plan ahead and it is 7.5 cents per bottle.  

It was free from the fountain for decades. Fountains were everywhere and so much as I know nobody ever died from dehydration during that period.

It would probably cost me $100 in gas, mileage and time to find a Costco. 

You could fill a thermos from your tap in literally seconds without ever needing to find a parking space amiright?

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

It was free from the fountain for decades. Fountains were everywhere and so much as I know nobody ever died from dehydration during that period.

It would probably cost me $100 in gas, mileage and time to find a Costco. 

You could fill a thermos from your tap in literally seconds without ever needing to find a parking space amiright?

Water is free? Hardly. 

Nothing is free.

But your water analogy is similar to my chicken nugget analogy. Times change and someday we (or at least our kids) will be eating lab grown meat and a few generations from now, people will wonder how we ever got along doing it "the old fashioned way".

9 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Paying for convenience.   Bottled water at Costco is $2.99 for a case of 40 half litre bottles.   Plan ahead and it is 7.5 cents per bottle.  

You can buy 35 packs of water at Fleet Farm for $3.00 and not have to pay a pretentious membership fee for the privilege of entering their building. 

12 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

I hope we skip the whole clean meat stage and just go to eating some sort of fortified goo out of a packet.

Edited by Getanet

4 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

You can buy 35 packs of water at Fleet Farm for $3.00 and not have to pay a pretentious membership fee for the privilege of entering their building. 

That's another alternative.   Costco was just an example.  The point was that a bottle of water isn't necessarily  "$2 to $3 as someone above posted.  More like a dime for most bottles. 

And then a person can have a sip whenever they want to without going to find those not so common anymore drinking fountains. 

1 minute ago, roony said:

Refillable bottles and larger containers are readily available. In my opinion those who don't use them are both lazy and ignorant about their long range effects on our planet. 

I've been called worse. I have about 5 or 6 cases stacked up in my garage at all times in the summer and another case in the garage fridge. 

That's your opinion but I'm sure though that if I walked through your house I could find a few things to call you lazy and ignorant over as well........