• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cooking the perfect steak.

https://www.inverse.com/amp/article/46709-how-to-cook-the-perfect-frozen-steak

"For many people, having a steak dinner means digging into the back of your freezer, pulling out that slab of meat you’ve been saving, and letting it thaw. But food scientist Guy Crosby, a Harvard professor of food chemistry and science editor for America’s Test Kitchen, says the thawing process may actually lessen the flavor and texture of your rib eye, strip, or t-bone.

“For years people would think, ‘Geez, I’ve got to spend hours thawing this thing out before I can cook it,’” Crosby tells Inverse. “Well, no. You can cook it, and it can turn out just as good and sometimes even better when you throw it on the grill or in the skillet when it’s still frozen.”

The reason is simple: The high-temperature differential between the outside of a frozen steak exposed to high heat in an oiled skillet allows the outside to brown and sear nicely without affecting any of the juiciness. This external browning process is known as the Maillard reaction, a heat-based chemical process involving proteins and sugars that causes these molecules to rearrange themselves to form new ones, some of which are the compounds that make steak look delicious and taste just right."

--------------------------

No mention of bagging and dunking it in water.....

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

If you sous vide you don't need to freeze the meat to keep it from overcooking.   Just like the highly touted "reverse sear" only more precise and accurate. 

Funny. I thought when you "Sear"a steak, you use high heat for a short time to lock in the juices and get those tell tale grill marks like my steak had tonight. 

Show me a video of you searing a steak in a bag of water and I'll try it.

53 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Funny. I thought when you "Sear"a steak, you use high heat for a short time to lock in the juices and get those tell tale grill marks like my steak had tonight. 

Show me a video of you searing a steak in a bag of water and I'll try it.

Are you seriously trying to tell us that searing a steak "locks in the juices"?    Really?   That notion has been disproven experimentally, you know, that science stuff, repeatedly in recent years.    You will have to do better than that.     Perhaps reviewing the current knowledge would be a start.  

In Sous Vide or in the reverse sear method, the searing is done at the end of the cooking period at a very high temperature for a very short time in order to get a great crust on the outside without overcooking the inside.   

3 hours ago, Mike89 said:

I know I'd never do it that way or Del's way...

just my thoughts only......

Your steak, your method.  

I won a box of steaks at a bar/restaurant one time that came off of the food truck that deliver to many resturants. And the directions said do not thaw cook from frozen. So I believe many resturants cook these same steaks from frozen and you didn't even know it.

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

I won a box of steaks at a bar/restaurant one time that came off of the food truck that deliver to many resturants. And the directions said do not thaw cook from frozen. So I believe many resturants cook these same steaks from frozen and you didn't even know it.

many of those steaks are marinated too!!!  injected...

1 hour ago, Walleyehooker said:

Yes, that's how probably the vast majority of steaks are cooked in restaurants. They don't have the time or space to thaw them out and very few are set up to handle receiving and storing of fresh-never-frozen beef. Obviously there will be those who do but it's less than you think. 

An advantage to cooking a frozen steak might be that if you cook over high heat that you can get a nice brown outside while keeping the inside very rare as it takes longer for the inside to thaw and get done than it would have taken if the steak was thawed. 

5 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

An advantage to cooking a frozen steak might be that if you cook over high heat that you can get a nice brown outside while keeping the inside very rare as it takes longer for the inside to thaw and get done than it would have taken if the steak was thawed. 

Thanks for not saying "unthawed!" 

On 7/7/2018 at 9:45 PM, delcecchi said:

Are you seriously trying to tell us that searing a steak "locks in the juices"?    Really?   That notion has been disproven experimentally, you know, that science stuff, repeatedly in recent years.    You will have to do better than that.     Perhaps reviewing the current knowledge would be a start.  

In Sous Vide or in the reverse sear method, the searing is done at the end of the cooking period at a very high temperature for a very short time in order to get a great crust on the outside without overcooking the inside.   

Your steak, your method.  

I'm with you on this. Probably one of the best steaks I ever had was done this way....sort of. Our neighbor invited us over for steaks. He was cooking them on a gas grill and at one point the drippings started to flame up and it got away from him a bit. The steaks got nicely charred black but the inside was medium to medium rare and they were amazing. 

I was at a restaurant one time and where I was sitting I could see the chef cooking the meat over charcoal. I don't know what he was basting them with but it was a flammable mixture that flared up and the flames did a nice job of charring the outside. Again, these were very good.