• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant hatches and nesting weather

Most chicks should be hatched and on the ground by now.

Unfortunately  Mother Nature has given them some tough wet conditions.

This image is from the National weather service. It shows parts of South Dakota and southwestern Minnesota have seen 600% of their normal precipitation values over the last 7 days.

keep that in mind when you start planning your fall trips. Hopefully a good 2nd hatch happens. 

1D07E970-40E3-4502-8D8B-E086CE4A53FC.png

I drove up to the cities this weekend from Sioux Falls and it just looks awful everywhere in SW Mn. Lots of flooding especially in the Windom area. Saw 2 birds the entire way up and back. My way up was at sun up and my way home was at sun down both which are prime time for seeing birds along the roads.

Did some hiking at Blue Mounds a week ago and same thing just lots of standing water and flooding. Farmers have to be hurting bad also. The bright spot maybe all the of the flooded fields spots that dry out could hopefully grow into some weedy grass areas. Those birds are going to need every bit of cover they can get. Still heard a few roosters crowing but not many.

Saw my first brood of pheasant chicks yesterday. Nice size brood of at least eight or nine. Not very big though size wise. The roadside counts next month are going to not be very promising to say the least would be my guess. This was in the Worthington area.

Edited by 123fish

Same areas again overnight in SW Mn and now parts of South Central SD got hammered with rain again. I know for sure some of my honey holes here in SD area got dumped on with 5+ inches of rain last night.

Then you barely go an hour or 2 north and Beadle country area is hurting for any moisture they can get. The areas that need rain are not getting it all all, and the areas that don't need any more rain keep getting it.