• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gutter covers?

Now that I am in my 60's I am getting to be much less excited about climbing tall ladders to clean out my gutters.  Are those gutter covers that keep leaves etc. out of the gutters a good deal?   Looking at them, it looks to me that in a hard rain the water would just sheet off of them, but people have said that does not happen? Pros and cons? Does the ice in the winter bust them up? Expensive or not too bad?  Looking for any helpful opinions, thanks in advance.

I have steel screen that a friend who sidelines in gutters installed. They have been up for 4 years and I haven't had to clean out gutters since. I checked the downspouts during the heavy rain today and they were flowing nicely. My roof is quite messy with all the debris from the trees but the gutters are good. 

4 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

Now that I am in my 60's I am getting to be much less excited about climbing tall ladders to clean out my gutters.  Are those gutter covers that keep leaves etc. out of the gutters a good deal?   Looking at them, it looks to me that in a hard rain the water would just sheet off of them, but people have said that does not happen? Pros and cons? Does the ice in the winter bust them up? Expensive or not too bad?  Looking for any helpful opinions, thanks in advance.

My Father-in-Law god rest his sole. Put Gutter helmet brand on his house. The sheeting right over the top of them in heavy rain does happen and bee's love to build nests in them. I go up and spray bee killer on them every year and then spray the the nests out with a hose for my 82 year Mother-in-Law who still lives there after the person mowing her yard now kept getting stung. 

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

My Father-in-Law god rest his sole. Put Gutter helmet brand on his house. The sheeting right over the top of them in heavy rain does happen and bee's love to build nests in them. I go up and spray bee killer on them every year and then spray the the nests out with a hose for my 82 year Mother-in-Law who still lives there after the person mowing her yard now kept getting stung. 

Info off the net.

Bees and Gutter Guards

You won’t want to barbecue or lounge with a book with this over your head.

Often gutter guards become a virtual apartment complex for wasps, who attach their paper-style nests under the cover. This can make the living areas around your home very uncomfortable, particularly near entrance ways or by decks and patios. No one likes when their outdoor event feels like it’s been invaded by bees or wasps.  Everyone winds up feeling on edge, fearing they’re risking getting stung.  Bees and gutter guards are a bad combination for homeowners.

It’s hard to manage controlling or ridding yourself of a colony.  It’s very difficult to get a spray under the cover to kill the insects.  Most often, the system needs to be removed, cleaned of all colonies and then reinstalled to get rid of all the nests.

Beehive-Gutter1-150x150.png

I have had no trouble with wasps and my screens.  Perhaps it could be an issue with the gutter helmet type arrangements with a solid top.

A buddy of mine made a device out of pvc pipe that attaches to a shop vac so he can stand on the ground and vacuum the stuff out of his gutters.  One story house of course.  

Edited by delcecchi