• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro loons

half-dutch

Among other wilds that have moved into our urban areas, we can now add loons.  There is a breeding pair on the lake formerly known as Calhoun, mostly staying on the west and northwest sides.  But there is also a bunch of yearlings fishing the east side, numbering maybe six or seven and so unafraid that they come right up to the 36th Street dock and try to steal suckers being used for musky bait.  Maybe the call of the wild is not really so alien to the South side of Minneapolis, but it looks like the loons have moved in and can be heard calling from time to time. 

That's interesting. I would think there would be too much commotion for loons, but apparently they get adapt.

About a month ago there was a wild turkey standing in the intersection of 9th & Marquette Ave downtown during the evening rush hour. As you can imagine it had no idea what to do or where to go, and it caused quite a bit of commotion and traffic backups.

We see and hear quite a few loons flying over our place in Shoreview.  I live between Lake Owasso, Joshephine and Johanna.  Based on direction of travel I assume they are flying between the lakes or maybe to some of the smaller ponds/wetlands in the area. 

On 6/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, Getanet said:

That's interesting. I would think there would be too much commotion for loons, but apparently they get adapt.

About a month ago there was a wild turkey standing in the intersection of 9th & Marquette Ave downtown during the evening rush hour. As you can imagine it had no idea what to do or where to go, and it caused quite a bit of commotion and traffic backups.

I saw a turkey hen on Portland about 22nd S one evening last month.  She just stood there in the middle of the street and forced the traffic to stop for her.  I hear there is a flock that moves around on the near south side close to the River.