• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repost. water pump pumping water out side of mercury 1504 stroke

Schubie1

Question

Looks like I lost my post when the server transfer took place. I did not see any posts after Leech had helped and asked a few questions. 

Sorry!!

I have a 2016 four stroke 150 merc. Owned since new. Always in a heated garage whe not on the water. 

I had not previously noticed this but when the engine is running I have water coming out of the lower unit around the area of the oil drain spigot. The pee spray is spraying fine and the oil is normal and. Not milky. 

Dealer says it should be fine and we can check it closer when I take it in for maintenance. I normally do the minor maintenance. 

Have any of this happened to any of you? Any ideas or input?

thanks

schubie

22 answers to this question

What is the oil drain spigot?

With my limited experience with a 4 stroke outboard, I would think any sort of oil drain would be up on the power head.  I know I've seen a small piece of hose connected to the power head to drain the oil during a change.  But you're talking about the lower unit.  Sorry I'm clueless and probably shouldn't even be commenting.  I've just seen a leaky tube to the pee hole drain into the lower unit.  No idea where that water goes though.

1 hour ago, bobbymalone said:

What is the oil drain spigot?

With my limited experience with a 4 stroke outboard, I would think any sort of oil drain would be up on the power head.  I know I've seen a small piece of hose connected to the power head to drain the oil during a change.  But you're talking about the lower unit.  Sorry I'm clueless and probably shouldn't even be commenting.  I've just seen a leaky tube to the pee hole drain into the lower unit.  No idea where that water goes though.

Not sure about the OP's Merc Bobby but on my Yamaha F150 the drain plug is about 1/2 way between the power head and the cavitation plate.

The internet seems to agree that this is indeed a thing with these motors, with inconclusive reports of a second mysterious pee hole there and arguments about splashed water draining out.  

I'm curious where that water comes from.

Little older motor but check out the water showing on the back of the motor once he gets going. It could very well just be spray from a ducer or anything when moving fast.

Edited by leech~~

Thanks for the replies. 

BobbyMalone I am not aware of how to take the lower unit cover off is this an easy option?

Leech I will go take a look at you tube. Mine is pumping pretty good but maybe it is just normal. 

Thanks 

schubie

The oil drain spigot is in the top half of lower unit. It is a silver nipple that you put a hose on before turning to open and drain. 

It really makes no sense why water would come out next to that and that high up there. To me anyway. 

I am just hoping that someone either says ya you have a problem. Or naw mine does that too. 

Thanks for your input!

Pat

mine is similar in placement. 

Mine is doing it at idle and not moving. I would like to understand where it comes from too.  It is an odd deal. I feel like I am getting a leak from the water pump or a leak from a water pump hose if there is such a thing that came loose?

thanks guys

schubie 

I have run it with power head cover off. I don’t see anything. I just noticed it last week. It could have been happening for a long time. It seems very odd that I never saw it before and very odd that it leaks there. 

Thanks

As I recall, some outboards put water into the exhaust to keep it cool.   there must be some sort of gasket or something where the exhaust from the block goes into the mid section and on down.  Perhaps that is leaking?   

Del 

thanks for the insight. The original post was accidentally deleted with transfers. 

I called dealer they thought it should be ok. That just seems odd that they don’t have an answer. They explained water comes out in a lot of places when on muffs. 

I guess  I use it till I get a warning alarm. I wish I could see in there. 

Thanks 

Schubie 

I reread your post.   Sounds like it is something you would never see on the water since the place it is coming out would be submerged.  Is that right?   And is water coming out the exhaust by the hub?  

My guess is that there is a joint where the exhaust comes apart where the lower unit joins the mid section and in there someplace water is getting out. 

Found these diagrams that might be interesting

https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury-marine-parts-catalog/model/01/7720/150 (4-Stroke)/1b905505-up

click on the pictures, maybe you can figure out something...

It is not submerged but lower than my transom view when I am at steering wheel. I have a Lund crossover. When I look back I see water pump pee hole working and never worried about it. I stood in back when motor was at idle last week and it scared the crud out of me. 

I’ll take a look at the diagrams. 

Thanks.