• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dyi kayak rack ideas

Anyone have any good ideas for a DYI kayak rack?

wife and I have 2 kayaks and we just bought 2 more for the kids.

in the past hauling 2 in the bed of the truck or on my 6’x10’ trailer was quick and easy. Now that we have 4 I wanted to build something to set on the trailer.

any preferences to wood or white pvc pipe? Or use any other material? Wood would be  slightly heavy but sturdy and easy to work with. PVC would be lighter and easy to work also with but too fragile?

I would also like to speed up the tie down/loading process. I stacked them in piles of 2 on the trailer yesterday and it worked but took a little longer to get them all off and back on the trailer with straps and bungee cords. Last thing I want to be is the yahoo wasting everyone’s time at the ramp loading and unloading.

i was sort of thinking something similar to this:

dd3598a98e756f0a58b57084791f6588.jpg

Just trying to get pros and cons before I start. I already have one trailer the idea having another just for kayaks seems over kill. Plus having the rack would make storage easy in the garage when it’s not on the trailer.

I considered the laying on side method but my yak has rod holders, a mount for my helix unit and transducer bracket etc so not ideal especially if I add rod holders to any others.

here is my setup on mine:

B848376E-3BFA-4C23-BB78-F974D4F188FC.jpeg

Did not thought of that. This would work for family trips. How much would that cost you? I only have one carrier https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/tckay883.html (wishing there would be a double deck for my kayaks. I am thinking of towing it if I would do this but my only problem is if it would not fall while I'm on the way.