Jump to content
  • GUESTS

    If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

    This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
leech~~

Human prion proteins resist chronic wasting disease.

Recommended Posts

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the steps taken to stop CWD is meant to protect the deer herd, not humans. If CWD is not isolated and contained then it could spread to the entire MN deer herd which would have most wondering why they didn't kill MORE deer in the original CWD areas.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the steps taken to stop CWD is meant to protect the deer herd, not humans. If CWD is not isolated and contained then it could spread to the entire MN deer herd which would have most wondering why they didn't kill MORE deer in the original CWD areas.

 

 

Who is to say that there has not away been some CWD in the herd, before they even knew what it was or had a test for it? At least take samples during Hunting season and stop taking out a bunch of Deer for no known reason because a few Deer farm animals had it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Again correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what the DNR did in SW MN last season. I believe all deer taken in the CWD area were required to be tested. 

 

The last mention I could find of increased harvest to reduce the spread was from 2016 and that was due to wild deer testing positive for CWD.  In 2017 no deer tested came back with a positive test result so perhaps it worked. 

 

What exactly do you propose if CWD is found in the wild deer population?  A hands off approach and let the deer herd figure it out on its own?  I don't think thats a very popular stance among hunters that enjoy having a deer herd.

Edited by nofishfisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

What exactly do you propose if CWD is found in the wild deer population?  A hands off approach and let the deer herd figure it out on its own?  I don't think thats a very popular stance among hunters that enjoy having a deer herd.

 

The science of CWD is over my head, but there are a few groups working overtime to champion doing exactly that - nothing. They argue CWD has a negligible impact on the herd, that doing nothing will actually let the strongest survive, and my favorite, that CWD is more or less a boogeyman that allows the DNR to reduce the size of the herd in MN and other states.   And like anything, they can find experts to support that viewpoint.


I still would not knowingly want to eat a deer with CWD, would not want to hunt in an area where it is prevalent, and appreciate steps to try to contain it, even if that means temporarily lowering the population in certain areas where it has been found.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nofishfisherman said:

What exactly do you propose if CWD is found in the wild deer population?  A hands off approach and let the deer herd figure it out on its own?  I don't think thats a very popular stance among hunters that enjoy having a deer herd.

 

What I'm saying is that before 1967 when it was discovered what did the Deer herd and Hunters do then? Seems a little soon in the discovery to panic and start taking out a bunch of Deer on an unknown fear. Yep keep up looking at it and finding out what it may or may not impact. It's good that they found it doesn't not effect Humans.  That's a good start. 

 

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE) of mule deer, white-tailed deer, elk (or "wapiti"), moose, and reindeer. As of 2016, CWD had been found in members of the deer family only.[1] First recognized as a clinical "wasting" syndrome in 1967 in mule deer in a wildlife research facility in northern Colorado, USA, it was identified as a TSE in 1978 and has spread to free-ranging and captive populations in 23 US states and two Canadian provinces.[2] CWD is typified by chronic weight loss leading to death. No relationship is known between CWD and any other TSEs of animals or people.

Although reports in the popular press have been made of humans being affected by CWD, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests, "[m]ore epidemiological and laboratory studies are needed to monitor the possibility of such transmissions".[3] The epidemiological study further concluded, "[a]s a precaution, hunters should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leech~~ said:

 

What I'm saying is that before 1967 when it was discovered what did the Deer herd and Hunters do then? 

It's possible it either didn't exist or existed at such low rate it wasn't noticeable.

 

HIV didnt exist before it existed.  And it floated around for 30 something years before it became a global pandemic in the 80s.

 

There's pretty good evidence out there about transmission to support the idea that if you sit on it for too long it will spread everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

It's possible it either didn't exist or existed at such low rate it wasn't noticeable.

 

HIV didnt exist before it existed.  And it floated around for 30 something years before it became a global pandemic in the 80s.

 

There's pretty good evidence out there about transmission to support the idea that if you sit on it for too long it will spread everywhere.

 

So, your saying we should start taking out people in 5 counties around each HIV person they may have come in contact with to stop it then? :rolleyes:  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leech, I think it's fair to say dealing with a problem like this in deer affords the "powers that be" some luxuries that aren't possible in humans.  It probably wouldn't be too popular to wipe out a bunch of infected folks...

 

One question- it's been known about for over a half-century and you're saying it's just too early in the evolution of the understanding process to do something about it beyond let it play out naturally and see how it all shakes out?  I don't get that...  Seems reasonable (although a little paranoid) be be concerned about one little genetic tweak to one allele and boom!, we've got an epidemic of very grand proportion on our hands.  

 

I totally agree that uninformed wiping out of deer herds isn't the answer.  However, I'm not sure sitting back and watching it all play out is either.  However, maybe that's not what you're proposing?  If not, what do you suggest? 

 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure IMO.  I'm on the same page as bobbymalone's last sentence in his last post above.  But, consistent with what you said- it most certainly needs to be informed and not a knee jerk response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the biggest concern is that what if it mutates to become something that can be transferred to humans like Mad Cow Disease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

 

So, your saying we should start taking out people in 5 counties around each HIV person they may have come in contact with to stop it then? :rolleyes:  :lol:

 

People aren't deer.  Deer aren't people.

 

There are ethical concerns with that idea, but if that happened in 1981 it probably would have stopped the pandemic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scoot said:

leech, I think it's fair to say dealing with a problem like this in deer affords the "powers that be" some luxuries that aren't possible in humans.  It probably wouldn't be too popular to wipe out a bunch of infected folks...

 

One question- it's been known about for over a half-century and you're saying it's just too early in the evolution of the understanding process to do something about it beyond let it play out naturally and see how it all shakes out?  I don't get that...  Seems reasonable (although a little paranoid) be be concerned about one little genetic tweak to one allele and boom!, we've got an epidemic of very grand proportion on our hands.  

 

I totally agree that uninformed wiping out of deer herds isn't the answer.  However, I'm not sure sitting back and watching it all play out is either.  However, maybe that's not what you're proposing?  If not, what do you suggest? 

 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure IMO.  I'm on the same page as bobbymalone's last sentence in his last post above.  But, consistent with what you said- it most certainly needs to be informed and not a knee jerk response.

 

Nowhere did I state that I didn’t think anything should be done about the CWD issue.

That I started this post should show that I am glad they are still looking into the disease and finding out how it effects man and animal.  I am also glad that they have switched to taking samples during the Deer hunting season when a very large sample group of the whole states Deer herd can be tested at one time. This should provide way better data of all deer in every zone which should be way more valuable than taking a few test samples from Deer farms and random culling around the state. Their going out and randomly taking out a bunch of Deer out in an area with DNR “sharp shooters” has not found anything and hasn’t proven to be very effective, other than to ruin a bunch of peoples hunts in that area the next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2018 at 2:39 PM, leech~~ said:

Who is to say that there has not away been some CWD in the herd, before they even knew what it was or had a test for it? At least take samples during Hunting season and stop taking out a bunch of Deer for no known reason because a few Deer farm animals had it.

 

If you are talking about southern minnesota, there were animals in the wild that had CWD.   And the DNR used sharp shooters since hunters didn't reduce the population enough.   This same strategy seems to have worked in the area around Pine Island MN where the wild herd was infected by farmed elk.   Now we have a couple more outbreaks in SE MN and in Crow Wing County most likely due to infected deer on deer farms.   

 

If you want to know what doing not much results in, read up on Dane Co Wisconsin and surrounding area.   

Edited by delcecchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

If you are talking about southern minnesota, there were animals in the wild that had CWD.   And the DNR used sharp shooters since hunters didn't reduce the population enough.   This same strategy seems to have worked in the area around Pine Island MN where the wild herd was infected by farmed elk.   Now we have a couple more outbreaks in SE MN and in Crow Wing County most likely due to infected deer on deer farms.   

 

If you want to know what doing not much results in, read up on Dane Co Wisconsin and surrounding area.   

 

More out breaks? :huh:  Please stay up on how things are going Del.

 

From DNR Web site.

CWD testing areas Special hunt complete; no CWD found

Testing is complete in all areas of Minnesota. Surveillance will resume during the 2018 deer seasons.

No chronic wasting disease was detected in 275 samples from deer that hunters harvested during a special late-season hunt Jan. 6-14 in and near southeastern Minnesota's disease management zone.

Please check back regularly for important updates.

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at this information I wouldn't declare the issue resolved...(thanks deer farmers)

6 cases last fall in SE mn.  

 

 

 

cwd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Looking at this information I wouldn't declare the issue resolved...(thanks deer farmers)

6 cases last fall in SE mn. 

 

 

 

cwd.jpg

I nor the DNR said it was resolved.  Just as of the last testing none was found.  Your chart is from 2016-2017 and is before the last testing results came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your implication was that CWD is not a problem, since the texas deer farmers' guy says it isn't a problem for humans and the last survey didn't find any new instances.   Why are you carrying water for the Cervid farming interests?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Your implication was that CWD is not a problem, since the texas deer farmers' guy says it isn't a problem for humans and the last survey didn't find any new instances.   Why are you carrying water for the Cervid farming interests?   

 

Never said that. Please start at the top and follow along. 

On 6/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, leech~~ said:

 

Nowhere did I state that I didn’t think anything should be done about the CWD issue.

That I started this post should show that I am glad they are still looking into the disease and finding out how it effects man and animal.  I am also glad that they have switched to taking samples during the Deer hunting season when a very large sample group of the whole states Deer herd can be tested at one time. This should provide way better data of all deer in every zone which should be way more valuable than taking a few test samples from Deer farms and random culling around the state. Their going out and randomly taking out a bunch of Deer out in an area with DNR “sharp shooters” has not found anything and hasn’t proven to be very effective, other than to ruin a bunch of peoples hunts in that area the next season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@leech~~

 

CWD sampling results for the disease management area

Updated @ 6:47 p.m. on Tuesday, March 16, 2018

CWD Zone   view mapSamplesPendingNot detectedSuspectedConfirmed

DPA 603                        1,185        0             1,179               0                  6

Late hunt                         275         0                275                0                 0 

Landowner shooting    19             0                 19                0                  0

 

I hunt in 603.   our 2 bucks were good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

@leech~~

 

CWD sampling results for the disease management area

Updated @ 6:47 p.m. on Tuesday, March 16, 2018

CWD Zone   view map Samples Pending Not detected Suspected Confirmed

DPA 603                        1,185        0             1,179               0                  6

Late hunt                         275         0                275                0                 0 

Landowner shooting    19             0                 19                0                  0

 

I hunt in 603.   our 2 bucks were good. 

 

Well suks to be you. Start the shooting!  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, leech~~ said:

I nor the DNR said it was resolved.  Just as of the last testing none was found.  Your chart is from 2016-2017 and is before the last testing results came in.

The chart was from January of 2018, and included the results from the 2017 Fall (deer season) testing which had 6 cases.   

 

On 6/6/2018 at 9:09 AM, leech~~ said:

Great. Can we stop wasting money on killing Deer in 5 counties around everyone that's been found

So, is it watch and wait or do something?     

 

One point about whether CWD could affect humans...  In UK, they found that there was enough variation among people that some could get mad cow and others couldn't.    So makes me wonder about that rat testing that kicked off this thread.  Did they test all the variations of human proteins that could be affected?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

The chart was from January of 2018, and included the results from the 2017 Fall (deer season) testing which had 6 cases.   

 

So, is it watch and wait or do something?     

 

One point about whether CWD could affect humans...  In UK, they found that there was enough variation among people that some could get mad cow and others couldn't.    So makes me wonder about that rat testing that kicked off this thread.  Did they test all the variations of human proteins that could be affected?  

 

Silly Town a little slow Del?

why-is-yawning-contagious01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nope.   Saw the original post, and since I have been following the issue near here in Rochester, beginning with the Pine Island outbreak, and now the ones near Preston etc and reefing on the deer farmers for bringing it into the state I decided to participate.   I'm not sure if it was on HSO or another site but I was critical of the so-called expert brought in from Texas (he also did work for Wisconsin) by the deer farmers to spin the issue.      

Personally I believe that farming deer or elk  and/or importing live deer or elk from out of state ought to be banned since recent events have shown that the industry is incapable of avoiding the introduction of cwd into previously cwd free areas.  

 

I'll be glad to go back and find the old threads to prove it, if you need convincing.     

 

Here is one...

No idea where the picture came from, not at original link

Edited by delcecchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Seems like aggressively dropping the deer numbers in the disease management zone is working then, eh, leech?  

 

Because if you bow to whiny hunters like WI did and have a real mess on your hands.

Edited by bobbymalone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×