• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Extra Gas ?

Hmm, now that’s a question I’ve never heard anyone ask before.  I’m not a routine border crosser but I’ve only been asked about guns, fish and alcohol.

I’ve read my documents and haven’t seen anything relating to gas either.  If you don’t get an answer before the 16th I’ll ask for ya when I cross over!

So 25 or 30 years ago I remember them being sticklers on extra gas and we would have to pay duty on whatever they considered to be to be "extra".  To the best of my recollection that quit happening maybe 20 years ago.  These days we cross mainly at Baudette both summer and winter and are averaging between 3 and 8 5-6 gallon gas cans per trip and myself or any of my friends have never paid gas duty in the past 20 years. 

I was told by an officer that they will allow what the officer deems to be  a reasonable amount for the trip. That was 3 years ago . Sounds like it is a discretion call on there part as apposed to a fixed amount .

I was camping up at leech last weekend and in the site next to me was a campground host.

He was a retired border guard. I remembered this post so I asked him about it.

His response was if you had more gas then you needed for your trip then they would start asking questions.

The biggest with him at the border was attitude from the people crossing. 

We had no problems but only brought 10 extra gallons over.  We fished 5 days, pretty much running wherever we wanted and ended with 7 gallons remaining in the boat.  So, we burned 30 gallons of fuel in a 1785 Lund with 90 hp Mercury 4 stroke.

I thought that was pretty good!