• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which lone wolf hang on stand do you like?

I have never hunted from an assault but I can tell you that the lone wolf alpha is a hell of a tree stand. If you are someone who often packs in a distance and is taking down your stand every day you hunt, maybe the assault is the way to go. But I personally would rather have the added weight for the extra platform space. Between the alpha and the hand climber combo I dont really need anything else. Those 2 stands are all I use because they are deadly quiet and rock solid. With a couple simple add ons (homemade stand mounted climbing stick holders, MOLLE straps, stealth strips, and a loop of pcord inside plastic tubing to aid in hanging) the alpha is by far the best stand I have hunted from. I am absolutely kicking myself for not buying several when i found them at the big C store for like $175 a couple winters ago.

Edited by PFUNK

+1 to what PFUNK said.  I’ve looked at the Assault but haven’t tried one.  It’s an interesting concept and I might like it but I have two Alphas and don’t feel like I’m missing out.  The Assault seems like it was designed for some pretty extreme situations of packing in quite a way or for slipping into some tight hunting situation - maybe closer to bedded deer than one normally would.

I don’t know if I could sit a half day in an Assault.  I can sit all day in an Alpha and it carries pretty light as it is.  If you go with the Assault, please post your review.  I’m still curious about em and your post has me wondering again if I’d like one.

I have been using an Assault for a few years now and love it!   I would definitely recommend it to anyone, but I've never used the Alpha either.

I pack in my stand almost every sit to stay mobile and some public land requires it.  The weight is good and like wanderer said it can fit into some small spots which is nice so you don't have to do much trimming.  The platform is small, but I have never felt like I needed more space even on all day sits which I do often.  The only thing I will mention with the size of the platform is it helps to think about where the deer will be coming from, so you can get into position with your bow.  I only bow hunt and I haven't had an issue yet, but I think that's a lot of guys concern with a stand that small.  The best thing to do would be to practice shooting off the platform in not so natural positions so your ready.

I don't have them and one of the reasons I don't. I like to stand a lot and I thought the large holes in the platform may grab or catch lugged sole boots as you moved to position for a shot one way or another.  And I didn't need to take a dive and hang by a harness. :2c:

alpha-II-hang-on-stand.png

Edited by leech~~

I've got the Alpha and I really like it.  Leech, I can see why you'd have that concern based on how they look, but I've definitely never had that problem.  I don't move my feet much at all, sitting or standing, but my guess is that if you tried one you wouldn't feel as uneasy about it (compared to how it looks like it would be).  

I put MOLLE straps on mine like PFUNK and I really like the set up.  

The only thing I don’t like about the webbing (holes) is it’s a little tough on the knees and shins when napping. ;):D

Seriously though, that’s for real.  Just turn around, sit on your legs and rest your arms and head on the seat.  Safety harness hooked up of course.  With the Alpha I like to have an extra jacket or something to put down to pad it.  This helps during the pre dawn hour.  It’s better to just commit to a secured position than fight dozing and falling off the seat if you don’t want to get out of the stand completely.  I’m a good power napper; 10 minutes and I’m good to go.  Never been even close to having an issue doing that.

More to Leech’s point though, the webbing lets debris, water and snow fall through so you don’t have as much noisy buildup as flat mesh or solid base.  It’s one of the things that make those stands strong, light and quiet.  I can move my feet around without the squeaking you get on other stands and it doesn’t get slippery with ice buildup.

38 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

The only thing I don’t like about the webbing (holes) is it’s a little tough on the knees and shins when napping. ;):D

Seriously though, that’s for real.  Just turn around, sit on your legs and rest your arms and head on the seat.  Safety harness hooked up of course.  With the Alpha I like to have an extra jacket or something to put down to pad it.  This helps during the pre dawn hour.  It’s better to just commit to a secured position than fight dozing and falling off the seat if you don’t want to get out of the stand completely.  I’m a good power napper; 10 minutes and I’m good to go.  Never been even close to having an issue doing that.

More to Leech’s point though, the webbing lets debris, water and snow fall through so you don’t have as much noisy buildup as flat mesh or solid base.  It’s one of the things that make those stands strong, light and quiet.  I can move my feet around without the squeaking you get on other stands and it doesn’t get slippery with ice buildup.

Lets debris fall through like, Mag lights, releases, gloves, snickers bars etc!! :(

Plus I don't like making a lot of feet movements so I just slid a little at a time to get in better shooting positions and that could be hard with the webbing! :lol: 

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

The only thing I don’t like about the webbing (holes) is it’s a little tough on the knees and shins when napping. 

I will have to remember that if we are in the woods ar the same time again!:D:D

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I don't have them and one of the reasons I don't. I like to stand a lot and I thought the large holes in the platform may grab or catch lugged sole boots as you moved to position for a shot one way or another.  And I didn't need to take a dive and hang by a harness. :2c:

alpha-II-hang-on-stand.png

I can see why you would think that, but the configuration of these platforms is without a doubt the most comfortable and quiet I have found in a stand. The large holes of the cast frame make my feet very happy. I try to stand as long as possible and only sit when I need the break. I can stand the better part of an entire day without my feet hating me like they used to with those mesh type platforms.

11 hours ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I will have to remember that if we are in the woods ar the same time again!:D:D

Thats why we need to hunt so close.  Someone has to see everything I miss. ;)

Sorry about your little snickers bar @leech~~.  :lol:

Edited by Wanderer

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Thats why we need to hunt so close.  Someone has to see everything I miss. ;)

Sorry about your little snickers bar @leech~~.  :lol:

This is why this site is going away. People give good examples in a discussion and their made fun of! :(  :P

Edited by leech~~

Ok, ok... Just leave me alone!

Sheez, the way you make feel.... :(

So, yah, I’m gonna make a change; back on topic: The alone wolf alpha makes me feel like a dominant predator.  :D

On 6/2/2018 at 10:06 PM, Wanderer said:

Great!  You will love it!

x2 ... You will not regret buying that stand. And if you ever do you just let me know and I will help you get rid of it. :D