• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO/FM Turkey Quest Submission Thread

Borch

HSO Forum Member Turkey Quest Submission Form

Turkey Contest 2020

Complete this form with your turkey’s measurements. Include photos of your turkey’s spurs and beard with a ruler or tape measure. Include in one of the photos your turkeys filled out tag or slip of paper with the date of the harvest. The turkey’s weight must be witnessed and signed by you and the witness below on this form.

Forum Member:_______________________________          Date:_____________

Team Name: _________________________________

Youth Hunter(17 or younger):Yes _______ No ________

Turkey Subspecies: _____________________

State/Province Bird was Harvested In: ____________________

Turkey’s Stats

Beard Length ____________inches

Spur Length ® _________inches (L)_________inches

Weight ___________ pounds

I certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: ______________________________________                       Date:_________

Witness:________________________________________________                      Date: ________

Story goes like this.

1. Uncle from St Cloud arrives Boise 10 pm Thursday night 4/12.

2. Drive to Orofino Friday to hunt private property I've hunted since 1990 and scout some.

3. Deploy blind Saturday and scout (re-confirm bird presence) some more.

4. Arrive parking spot in fairly hard rain at 0430.

5. First gobble on roost at 0530.

6. 0550 flydown, Hens jakes and longbeards responding but not interested in my game......yet.

7. Very vocal birds for 45 minutes.

8. Silence for 1 hour

9. Distant gooble heard and responds to me at 0800

9a. Rain stops.

10. 0820 Gobbles getting closer, sounds like 3-5 birds.

11. Nuther gobble from different vector is heard. 

12. Several longbeards now visible at 150 yards responding to everything I throw at them.

13. Gobble at ~60 yards from gobbler from different vector.

14. Mayhem, cacophony, loudmouths.

15. Single gobbler appears and is walking right into a bad spot for him.

16. He dies at 0900 at 25 yards by my uncles shot.

17. I attempt to hold and call back other toms but they won't have it.

18. 1500 Decide to pull up and move blind 1/4 mile.

19. Set up by 1545.

20. 1600 Make one series of calls.................sit down.

21. 1605 Peek out the slot of my turkey silo blind and see nice silent longbeard walking to decoys 15 yards distant.

22. Mayhem

23. Poke uncle Don and look in direct he came from to see another very alert longbeard that slips out of sight.

24. Said long beard meets his waterloo by my shot at 1610 and can't call the alert bird back......

25. 1700 see three hens and a strutter slipping into brush at 100 yards.

26. 1715 Said strutter appears silent but strutting in all his glory at 35 yds.

27. Don smokes this one as well!  This is the first year we can harvest 2 bearded turkeys in the same day and Don is very likely one of the first Non-Residents to do so legally.

28. Radar shows big rain coming.

29. Let's pack up before we get drenched again.

30. Monday was a total washout, rain, rain, rain and snow.  We didn't hunt but did a farm/crop tour of my son in laws operation in Lewiston.

31. Radar/forecast indicated nothing but moisture for Tuesday. So We Drove Home to Boise.

32. Don flew home this morning.

All in all we had a tremendous trip seeing loads of game and visiting with landowners.

Turkey 2018.jpg

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

I get to hunt this awesome farm not far from home.  He doesn't want any guns on the property, but archery is okay.  I've had the place pretty much to myself for about 5 years now.  There are loads of birds. 

My first sit was Friday evening, I had to wait almost an hour for the dozen or so birds already in the field to move off.  Almost immediately after getting set, birds started filtering back out of the woods.  Most headed to the landowners back yard. (see poor photo taken through my binoculars) There were about 40 in all including 5 longbeards. Unfortunately they all found ways around me on their way to roost none coming closer than 50-60 yds.

Saturday morning they were already sounding off as I got out of my truck.  Birds were around me all morning - I counted 50 with 7 full fans in the bunch. Again, none showed any interest in my set up. 

After a short break at midday I was back in the blind about 2:00.  Soon there were birds all around me again, finally two jakes came right in, but I chose to pass as there were two big strutters behind me. For some unknown reason, the next thing I know, there were deer and turkeys and sandhill cranes flying and running for the hills all around me. No clue what spooked them but the birds were all gone - I thought.

Minutes later a big red head showed over a rise in the field, then two.  They would eye me up, but had plans to skirt me on the way to somewhere else.  They had gotten around me when I did a soft purr on my crystal slate call. Boy, they thought she sounded hot. Soon they were both in my decoys in full strut at 10 yds. I picked what I thought was the biggest, and when he was facing me I put my pin on the base of his beard and touched the trigger on my release.  The shot was true, 50 yds away lay my bird, stone cold dead.

Bowhunting turkeys can be frustrating as all get out, but when it all comes together and you've got birds right in your lap, well it just doesn't get any better.  That being said, my next hunt will be in Wisconsin, and I'll probably be toting my shotgun just because I can.

IMG_20180426_200346876.jpg

IMG_20180421_193657353.jpg

IMG_20180421_194200372.jpg

IMG_20180421_194643934.jpg

IMG_20180421_194739431.jpg

IMG_20180421_195736015.jpg

IMG_20180421_080811741.jpg

31069097_10210035513318561_6833351053980713834_n.jpg

Forum Member:Cheetah          Date: April 26, 2018
Team Name: Team #3
Youth Hunter(17 or younger): No
Turkey Subspecies: Merriams
State/Province Bird was Harvested In: South Dakota - Black Hills

Turkey’s Stats
Beard Length 8 3/4 inches
Spur Length ® 3/4 inches (L) 13/16 inches
Weight 18.25 pounds  (forgot to photograph the scale before butchering bird...)

I certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.

Forum Member: Cheetah - Josh Tschida                      Date: 4/26/2018
Witness: Clay Tschida                   Date: 4/26/2018

P1040130_share.jpg

IMG_4379_share.jpg

IMG_4378_share.jpg

IMG_4377_share.jpg

IMG_4380_share.jpg

Edited by Cheetah