• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod suggestion needed.

Hellloooo everyone! First post, new to the forum ...

I'm badly needing suggestions for two good trolling rods. I'm on a tight budget, so G Loomis-range rods are completely out of the question. I'm brand new to the trolling game, and just trying to get started. I'll be trolling from an 18' bass boat, as i still enjoy chasing largemouths/smallmouths too. My rod box will handle 7' rods, so I'm probably gonna want to stick with telescopic's (I've never been a fan of two piece rods). I have a 36v 112# thrust Minn Kota Ultrex trolling motor up front, so I think I can manage in terms of boat control. The lakes I plan to fish are relatively deep (150'+), although I'm obviously not gonna be looking to fish that deep. I'm guessing 50-60' at best, but 10-35' is likely more realistic. I want to target both striper and walleye in the spring, but primarily walleye throughout the year. I need a rod that I can pull cranks/harnesses with, as well as pull a planer board in the spring for stripers (only for a couple months/yr.). I want to sloooowly pull topwater red finns parallel to the shore, and very shallow in the spring (5' off the bank). My stripers are typically no more than 20#, but much larger fish are definitely present. Walleye in the 6-10# range are common too. I plan to pair my rods with a Diawa Sealine 17, and an Okuma Convector 15, both line counter reels. I've read these are two popular models among walleye anglers, and wanted to start out with good quality reels with an above average drag. I have some decent rod holders installed (10 in all) already, and feel they "should" suffice for my needs. They will accommodate most any rod that I decide on. Without breaking the bank, what would you recommend for my needs? I was gonna pick up a couple 8'6" Ugly Sticks, but wanted some advice from experienced anglers beforehand. I have some cabellas points available, and a local store ... ;-) ... Many thanks for any/all suggestions!

I have the Cabelas 8'6" telescoping trolling rods in a med action I believe. Been using them for 4-5 years now. They work great for what you are asking. Although I have never caught striper on them, they work well for the walleyes up to 28". I think they collapse down to about 7'. Very reasonably priced.

Thanks. I decided to go with my gut, and ordered medium light action 8'6" Depthmaster rods. Spent some time trolling with them the other day, and I think they'll be fine. Just gotta remember to be careful with the larger fish around the boat when netting. Now if I could just better understand seasonal locations/presentations for my local walleye, I'd be all set! Trolled for 4.5 hrs without so much as a nibble yesterday. Trolled various cranks and harnesses the entire time, at different depths/speeds (1.0-1.5 mph with harnesses, and 1.8 -2.4 with cranks), hoping to make contact with one. I did find the Precission Trolling app to be pretty darn accurate with my dive curves though. So that was refreshing ... :-)

Edited by Theoutdoorsman3276