• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ok well this weather is going to push things back a few weeks I'm thinking.  Last year I was picking some the second weekend of May!  :(

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

Edited by leech~~

I was out today south of the metro and came back with almost 30! My girlfriend took me out for the first time. A little on the small side yet, so we only picked the drier morels. Left the good ones to hopefully harvest early next week or this weekend. 

Checked my spots and nothing yet? I can usually tell by how much ground cover is growing and it looks like a few more days with this warm weather coming. I have a feeling when they pop it's going to be fast and over in a few days once it happens.

I was out for a little jaunt around noon today. I found about 6 in Hubbard county but they are all 1-2 inches tall and just starting to pop. Hope the rain hits us tomorrow like the weather person says! It's crispy out there.

1 hour ago, Notime said:

Oh, oh, ohhhhh! It rained today! I can smell 'em popping!

I checked again today. Nothing, but I'm hoping next week to have some fresh ones to deep fry up at the camper next weekend! :)

Wow, my spots are way behind this year. Had hoped to find a bunch before this coming long weekend for a big family Walleye and Morel fry but have only found 5 small grays so far. Just not seeing the ground cover growing very much yet and have saw no other types of mushrooms which seem to grow first pop up yet. This is a very late year so far. :(

I just got back from a work trip to MI. I could not believe the difference in ground cover. We traveled all the way from Dearborn back to Bemidji heading through the U.P.  Most of MI had very little ground cover but WI was flush, green everywhere! I only got to check a few spots at rest areas but I never saw a thing. The ground was dry at most spots on the way home. I'm gonna go hit my spot tomorrow, hopefully it hasn't been picked yet!

I picked for about 2 hours this morning. I'm not exactly haw many I got but its enough for a couple meals. I'm going to chop some of these up and mix with some cream cheese, feta cheese and garlic chives and then stuff some chicken breasts and cook them on the grill. The little bit of rain that we got last week helped the shrooms pop but it really didn't do much else for the woods besides help the mosquito's hatch. There were so many they licked the bug spray off first then swarmed. I found the mushrooms all over, North, South, East and West facing hills. Normally spot 1 has the best results but this trip it was my second spot. All of them had pretty good size too. Only a few that were in direct sunlight were dried up otherwise they are very firm. Spot 1 is the left container. Don't worry, I use a mesh bag while I'm out in the woods!

20180523_123707_1527097075365.jpg

Good job!  I have never found any Blacks so they look a little different.  Can you take a picture of what they look like cut in half? They look a little scary like False Morel's :huh:

th.jpg

I will have to find some more, cause we ate all of them! They were all connected on the bottom as they are supposed to be. I haven't seen a half-free or a Verpa yet this year and I have only seen a couple of Devil's urn's. The popple fuzz was covering everything this morning so they were a little difficult for me to see. Hopefully we get a shot of water with the lightning over night.

7 hours ago, Notime said:

I will have to find some more, cause we ate all of them! They were all connected on the bottom as they are supposed to be. I haven't seen a half-free or a Verpa yet this year and I have only seen a couple of Devil's urn's. The popple fuzz was covering everything this morning so they were a little difficult for me to see. Hopefully we get a shot of water with the lightning over night.

Ok, if you don't post back in a few days we know! :lol:

Well this has been a tough season so far with this odd weather. Late winter jump into 80+ degrees.  It will be interesting to see what these next 4-5 days of 80's to 90's do to them?

Did find a few Morel's and some nice small tender Pheasant  backs last time out.

IMG_0001.JPG

23 hours ago, Notime said:

I picked for about 2 hours this morning. I'm not exactly haw many I got but its enough for a couple meals. I'm going to chop some of these up and mix with some cream cheese, feta cheese and garlic chives and then stuff some chicken breasts and cook them on the grill. The little bit of rain that we got last week helped the shrooms pop but it really didn't do much else for the woods besides help the mosquito's hatch. There were so many they licked the bug spray off first then swarmed. I found the mushrooms all over, North, South, East and West facing hills. Normally spot 1 has the best results but this trip it was my second spot. All of them had pretty good size too. Only a few that were in direct sunlight were dried up otherwise they are very firm. Spot 1 is the left container. Don't worry, I use a mesh bag while I'm out in the woods!

20180523_123707_1527097075365.jpg

Definitely blacks.  I haven't hit my blacks spot yet but matbe this weekend.